Author Topic: what to sterilise????  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Ella's mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
what to sterilise????
« on: September 11, 2005, 13:18:40 pm »
Hello
Ella is 5 months and today had her first ever taste of solid food. (well sort of, it was baby rice)  She seemed to like it and I'll start moving her on to other tastes soon. I want to make up batches to freeze of pureed food but what do I need to sterilise?  Just the ice cube trays? what about the utensils?  Obviously the electric mouli just has to be as clean as I can get it.  I don't want to go overboard but equally I don't want her to be poorly.  Can I turn out the frozen cubes into freezer bags or should they be stored in the freezer in sterilised containers as she is under 6 months?

HELP!!!!

thanks in advance
Shelley x

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
what to sterilise????
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 13:29:46 pm »
i used to cold water sterilise the ice cube trays because they couldn't go in the dishwasher.  Otherwise I didn't worry so much as the dishwasher uses hot enough water, I reckoned that as he was putting things from the floor in his mouth then dishwasher clean is good.

Hope that helps

Alex

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
what to sterilise????
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 13:33:15 pm »
Hi Shelley

I think the recommended advice is too sterlise things like the ice cube trays and spoons that you feed her with and to make sure the bowels and other items you use are clean.  However, personally I did do this with dd1 (now 3) and she came down with every bug, cold that she could catch (no immune system), so with dd2 I have not sterlised anything but the bottles, anything that I use for cooking I just make sure are clean and dd2 (nearly 6 months) is fine.

For storage of food either put in freezer bags and label them and put the date on when they were cooked or use some clean storage pots.

Hope this is ok.
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline Ella's mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
both....
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 07:58:47 am »
thank you for the replys.  I think you are kind of both saying make sure things are really clean, a dishwasher should be ok for most things, and sterilise what she is actually eating from/with.  It all makes sense.  I am usually pretty ok with using my common sense but whenever I reach a new stage I flounder a bit till I get the confidence to trust my gut instinct. I guess that is normal though.

thanks again
x

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
what to sterilise????
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 08:02:56 am »
ditto what Holly said - exactly what i did and do now.  thankfully my ice cube trays seem to be fine in the dishwasher. i just put everything in there. I do still sterilize bottle stuff though ...It is amazing how much stuff you do first time that you let go of second time (part too busy and part realize they will  not get ill because of things WE do, that usually happens because of just being out in the world  :wink: )
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified