Author Topic: ALMOST FELL OUT OF COT AND WON'T SLEEP IN ROOM W/OUT ME- HEL  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Sienna's Mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
ALMOST FELL OUT OF COT AND WON'T SLEEP IN ROOM W/OUT ME- HEL
« on: September 11, 2005, 13:31:29 pm »
i'M SOO SORRY THIS IS POSTED ELSEWHERE, BUT I AM SOOO DESPERATE!!!!

well, my 18 month old little girl FINALLY after 17 months, started sleeping through.... i tried the 'no-cry' method, the gradual method, the pu/pd method, the only pd method or only stayin in room with her(until held hostage for 45 min at a time) and finally, i realised that my LO was 'all or nothing' (same went for weaning at 13 months off boob) and had to teach her to sleep WITHOUT mommy being in the room... a hard 1st night and 2 days, but on the 3rd night of lullaby, cuddles, into bed then mommy out of the room, she did not cry a bit and went right to sleep with no wakings......... i cherished those sleeping nights, and for the first time in god knows how many months, even went out twice in the evening..

well, about a week ago, 2things happened: 1- started refusing to sleep in day in own bed (only sleep if out or being pushed in chair and 2- VERY earlly morning wakings which started at 5:30 and went as early as 4.. had enough and paediatrition said to do more sleep training to let her know that it wasn't time to wake up, and then the most dangerous thing could have happened.. a set of drawers is next to her cot, and she managed to use it as leverage to pull herself out (thank the lord for video baby moniters) and i managed to race in just in time to take her little body off the top of the cotbed before she fell out.. i moved the drawers, put her back in , and was glued to the moniterl. i didn't think she could do it w/out the leverage because the cot comes up to her chin, but, sure enough, my stong cookie did and i got in just in time to get her while her feet about swung over.. feeling sick because was so scared (hard floor too) i picked her up and walked with her.. next day, put the 'toddler bed' attachment on side of cotbed and matress under that so if she rolls out, does not hurt herself. made big deal about her new 'big girl' bed and rearranged her room to make it seem new and different to try to help her with the newfound fear she developed with sleeping in her room (at night now too)

sorry this is so long, but to finish, i can get her to sleep in her bed only if i am with her and physically closeby telling her that i'm there.... last night i slept in her room (i am more dylerious than i have been in TOOO long) and she woke once, don't know what time, and at 4 when she tossed and turned, i had awoken before her and rubbed herback so she didn't wake..... i need help... advice.... support...... anything ploease!!!!!!!! i don't know what is right and i don't want my presence in the room to make the constant wakings come back... goin to in-laws in england (from panama) in 2 weeks for 3 months, and can't do sleep training at their house because they will go mental if she cries evein a bit..... PLEASE, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS GONE THROUGH SOMETHING SIMILAR? WHAT WORKED???? SO TIRED AND LOSING PATIENCE!!!! need a miracle.... or maybe it's a phase.... god knows........ help me! anything you say is GREATLY appreciated

update:the last 2 nights, she has been going to bed ok (at 8 instead of 7:30) and actually waking up at a very good hour (6:30-- normal was 6!) the only (and it's a big one) problem is that she goes to sleep only with me physically in the room, and eitherwith my hand on her back or my face in view....... i am now confined to her room at night becasue i'm so tired, it's just easier than getting up from my room several times and going to her until she falls asleep again... then at about 5ish she wants out of the bed, and i tell her that the sun's not out so it's still sleepy-time, which is working well, then she falls asleep on one of the matress/comfortable items around her bed... i have gone from one extreme to the other on more than one occasion now, and just want my li'l girl not only to feel comfortable sleeping in her 'new big girl bed' (which she does if i'm there) but also i want to sleep through thenight again, and maybe get (just a little!!! once every 2 weeks or so!!!) some time for myself in the evening to go out.... WHAT DO I DO!?!??!?!?!??!

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 14:25:07 pm »
Sometimes it takes awhile to get back on track after a change. I really can't tell you that you should do anything different than you are already doing. What I can say is it will get better again. She will sleep through the night again. And you will finally get some sleep :wink: .
If you are still having trouble weeks down the road you nay have to tweak what you are doing. I am afraid I haven't done enough studying on this subject to help much.
HEY LADIES HELP ME OUT!!!!!
Hugs, sweetie. I know how rough this can be. It does get better, I promise.

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 18:17:03 pm »
I'm moving this over to the toddler sleep board. There are lots of parents there that have made the big girl bed switch. I wish that I could help you... we haven't made that switch yet.

The standard advice for any sleep training holds though... consistency is the key.

If you want her to fall asleep without you in the room, you are going to have to teach her to do so again. One plan that would work is putting her to bed and leave the room. Return and put her back to bed when she gets upset or out of bed. Develop a key phrase... "It's sleepy time, Darling" or whatever works for you. Use it a few times. After that, say nothing and put her straight back to bed. Does she have a security object (blanket, stuffed animal)? That will help to sooth her. Keep repeating until she falls asleep.

You said that you are going to make a long visit to England in a few weeks? You should either start immediately and get her used to the idea or just give it up for now and wait until your return. It will most likely just take a few days to a week if you stay consistent with her, so you may get her on a good routine before you go. That will make it easier to get her adjusted during the first part of your visit because you can use the same method there (this works when I visit my parents as well... by the second night dd is sleeping in her "room" at grandma's house without a problem). It will also make it easier when you return to get her back on track.

Take into consideration your sleeping arrangements while you are away when you decide if you should make the change now or just wait until you get back. If you will be sleeping with her anyway, you may just want to wait. Do what feels right to you! :wink:
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)