Author Topic: Need help with going to sleep  (Read 1100 times)

Offline jacksonmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 11, 2005, 20:18:45 pm »
I am so thankful for your website! I read Tracy's book during my pregnancy. Therefore, I thought parenting would be a breeze! Wow, I was so wrong. We have a sweet little boy who is 10 weeks old today and is a VERY TOUCHY baby. He fights to go to sleep. The only way that we're able to slightly calm him down is to turn on the vacuum. I have the same ritual every time we nap. As soon as I see the first or second yawn, we start to wind down. I reswaddle him, we walk around slowly, I hum to him and we gradually start walking back to his room. He usually starts crying when we're walking around. My little one WILL NOT let me sit down and rock with him before I put him in his crib. I do the pat/shh to try to calm him. He just screams and screams for about 5-10 minutes and then finally closes his eyes and lays his head on me. At that time, I put him down in his crib and continue the pat/shh. To me it just seems so barbaric to have to use the vacuum each time; however, it's the only thing that will calm him down in a reasonable amount of time. Is this somewhat normal? I feel like such a bad mother. He is colicky and has a lot of gas. I just wonder if the reason he has so much gas is a result of all of his crying. I just can't calm him down. Is anyone else in this situation? Help!   :roll:

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 21:18:24 pm »
In the books, Tracy always said that when you see the child yawning you are already into their sleep window.  If you are waiting for a yawn and then starting the wind down, you are probably missing the best time to put him down.    Try starting the wind down when you see a lull in activity or roughly 15 min before you think he will be tired.
Also, I use a white noise machine that my dd always sleep with.  It helps to block out background noise and allows her to soothe.  I grew up with a white noise machine and never sleep without one!!  That may replace the vaccum.  I know you can get them a Wal-mart, etc for around $20-$30.  HTH  :D
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Need help with going to sleep
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 21:40:39 pm »
Hi.  Just wanted to ditto Jacki's advice about the white noise.  There is also a great white noise CD by Happiest Baby on the Block's Harvey Karp.  It starts with a loud, intense noise, and slowly gets more quiet and mellow to help calm baby.  Good luck!
Sheila
ng

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Need help with going to sleep
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 22:53:46 pm »
depending on where you live, a radio set to static is great white noise as well.  :wink:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy