Author Topic: Finally got him to sleep on his own  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Jolan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Finally got him to sleep on his own
« on: September 12, 2005, 01:26:27 am »
:D last nite and this morning i finally got my 9 month old to fall asleep on his own with out me in the room or patting him bum. now i just have to get him sleeping through the nite and getting him weaned during the nite. If anyone has an opnion I would love to hear it. :?

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 11:16:06 am »
At 9 months, habits will be tough to change so nothing will 'work' instantly.

The bum patting and feeding in the night has become a prop.  So I would suggest you have a read through Tracy's third book plus the props forum and wean him off.
Jenny

Offline mango_baby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 17:17:24 pm »
I am going through the same experience. how did you stop the bum patting and leaving the room we are not quite there yet. We are, however sleeping through the night and have stopped feeding through the night.
have you started a dream feed? i had to introduce this even though my baby was much older, just to help him make it through the night. i knew he would not go from being nursed to sleep as well as through the night. the dream feed was what carried us through this transition. then whatever time he woke up between his dream feed and the am wake time i would do pd.
this works for us, let me know if you have anymore questions.

hope this helps

melissa

Offline Jolan

• Showing Appreciation 0
what is a dreamfeed
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 13:43:31 pm »
I did get him to sleep by just leaving in the room by himself and letting him cry him self to sleep. I know it sounds mean but i had to do it because nothing else worked. sometimes it takes long than before but i just go into the room pick him up and tell him everythings ok, your just gonna go for a nap.sometimes it doesn't work and other days it does. What is a dreamfeed and how is it done.. he is no longer breastfeeding.He also is not sleeping through the nite i sleep with a bottle in a bucket full of ice beside the bed. how do i stop him from feeding at nite? :?

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 16:40:19 pm »
A dream feed is done between 10 and 11pm. basically just before you yourself go to bed around this time frame. You just are giving your baby a feed while they are sleeping. With mine this extra feed carried him through so he could sleep instead of waking up hungry and it worked really well. He still woke up to nurse after that but the frequency of his wakings changed.  . Your not breast feeding, so you basically just put the bottle into your babies mouth and let them drink. Essentially you are just geting extra food in him while he is sleeping.
Is you baby waking up the same time each night or at random times for food? If it the same time each night he is waking out of habit and that habit needs to be broken, However if it is at different times them he is truly hungry , or is having a growth spurt, and in that case you need to increase his food intake during the day.

Offline Jolan

• Showing Appreciation 0
what if he wakes up?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 16:59:14 pm »
couple questions: What is he wakes up while i am trying to give him a bottle? or he does not take the bottle while he is sleeping. and he wakes up around the same times everynight. sometimes it is more than usual. the other nite he was waking up every hour and my mother notive that i had given him cereal before he went to bed. could that have made him wake up every hour.

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 17:36:32 pm »
If he wakes up...I didn't have this happen so I don't know the exact answer. If I did I would imagine that I would carry on with what I was doing, which is feeding him. Make sure the liting so so dim( I just leave a crack of light through the door-just enough to see). Milk always seems to put babies back to sleep. if he wakes the same time that is habit and the only way to break that is not to feed. My baby had so many issues with gas . i had to be careful what i was eating since he was breastfed. the gas was always waking him up. if you are introducing something new-like cereal- do it in the am so his tummy is not affected at night.

hope that helps,
let me know/

melissa

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 17:42:03 pm »
We just started doing the dream feed too and it has allowed us to elliminate the night feedings.  He is still waking out of habit, but that is  getting easier to handle with a quick patt-patt on the hiney and he's out.  I imagine it will be gone before long.  Today (3-4am), he woke, played, and went back to sleep on his own for the very first time!

Jessica with Grayson - 16 weeks old
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline JenniferLapensee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 17:47:25 pm »
Jolan,

You said at one point that Jonny was Colicy, have you tried Soy Milk? He might still be colicy and Cows milk is harder on his tummy than Soy will be.  That could be a reason why he isnt sleeping well or through the night or whathave you.  Alexander had some formula and he had a hard time until I completely wiped it out.  He had the Formula in Cereal for a while as well, Jillian started to have a hard time sleeping when I started to give her milk, since I switched to Soy she has been sleeping much better.

Other than that sweetie I suggest Dim lighting, qith a fan or something in the room so he has that "white noise" or whatever its called It could be either too quiet or too loud.  Alexander had a hard time sleeping in Bryans parents place because Bob was deaf or whatever and always had the TV and music up LOUDLY He couldnt sleep, noise is good to have but too much noise can stimulate the baby too much.

Quote from: Jolan
couple questions: What is he wakes up while i am trying to give him a bottle? or he does not take the bottle while he is sleeping. and he wakes up around the same times everynight. sometimes it is more than usual. the other nite he was waking up every hour and my mother notive that i had given him cereal before he went to bed. could that have made him wake up every hour.

If the cereal has Formula in it it could very well hunn

Offline Jolan

• Showing Appreciation 0
dreamfeed via sleeping in a different place
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 00:15:36 am »
Well I hope that this dream feed works out. I will have to give it a try when I finally get settled in at home.  :P and I do hope that Jonny does fall asleep on his own when he is at home and in his own crib :shock: and maybe witching to Soy milk will make a difference but who knows maybe it won't. I will never know until I try :!:   :D
Do you think that I am going to have to start all over again getting him to fall asleep on his own at home because we are not at home, and he is sleeping in a playpen at the moment or do you think that because he is used to sleeping on his own that is shouldn't be a problem :?:

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 18:07:42 pm »
I am not exactly sure, I would imagine there will be a bit of an adjustment period, however if you are there and consistently doing the same things, he should settle back quite quickly.

I don't know for sure but I could say this is what it would be with my boy,

Melissa