Author Topic: single to double side feeding when???  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
single to double side feeding when???
« on: September 12, 2005, 04:14:38 am »
Just wondering when other mothers who single side fed needed to start offering both sides.
Liam (3.5 mo) is very big 8kg (18lb) & I have been single side feeding on a 3.5 hour easy, but he seems unsettled & think It's time to offer both sides, just wondering if this is about when most people did it... with Aiden I pretty much always double side fed.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline kq

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Auckland, NZ
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:42:54 am »
Hi Kate,
I found that I have had to double side feed after about 3.5 months. ds is not very big but has always been an efficient feeder. I noticed recently that he would only feed for 5-6 minutes and would not latch on again. He kept bobbing on and off and i thought he was done but then he had lots of night wakings. Began offering 2 sides and he is now feeding 10-20 minutes. Night wakings improved too.
HTH.
Karen
Karen

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 05:01:45 am »
Karen sounds exactly where I'm at... we've had 2 bad nights & I was thinking it might be the reason. Thanks
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 12:16:03 pm »
Ditto!  I went back to offering the second side around the 3 month growth spurt.  I'd just offer, if I were you - if he's hungry, you'll see and everything should go better from there!  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Tamara

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 13:28:09 pm »
If he still seems unsettled/hungry then give it a go.

I, on the other hand exclusively BF till 6.5 months and continued till DD naturally weaned at 16 months and I ever did single sided feeding.

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 21:36:45 pm »
I single side fed until about 5.5 months, except during growth spurts.  I liked having the other side available for those times.  Around 5.5 months, since I knew we wouldn't be starting solids for a while, I started both sides (as well as before naps) in an effort to get more in him during the day.  It helped with his longer awake times during the day and naps, but didn't help the nightwakings at all.  Now that we're on solids, I do both sides some of the time, except in the morning when I'm really full and one is enough (I pump the other side).
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 23:36:51 pm »
I actually started double side feeding just after I posted & actually he has taken both sides on 4 of the last 5 feeds & slept 9 hours again overnight, so pretty sure he needed it

Lets face it he is bigger than many 6 month old babies... I just hoped I could keep one side going longer so I didn't have to offer extra feeds to hold off on solids until 6months (which I fully intend to do!)

Thanks everyone
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 23:45:09 pm »
I just started trying to feed Caeden both sides everytime as well - before it was kinda hit or miss If he wanted it I would give it, but if he seemed okay I didn't offer it. He did take both sides consistently during growth spurts.
I just started giving him one side for a few minutes till he starts bobbing off and on and then switching sides and letting him nurse there till he was done and then offering the first side again and he usually takes it. I alternate sides so he is consistently feeding between the two. Someone here gave me this hint and it is working great so far - sorry I don't remember who - but thanks a million - it is working good for us. Caeden is going longer between feeds and sleeping better with a full tummy to start with!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011