Author Topic: Don't know where to start  (Read 1039 times)

Offline momo'nathan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Don't know where to start
« on: September 12, 2005, 02:07:11 am »
Hello.  We are at a breaking point and don't know where to turn now. Our son is 7 months old and has been nursed to sleep since day 1 (nothing else ever worked).  He only started to nap approx. 1 month ago (only naps when nursed to sleep however) and is now napping about 30 min. two times each day.  Our nighttime routine usually starts at 6:45 (bath, stories, quiet time etc) and then I feed him.  He starts to fall asleep usually within 30 minutes but then I can't tear him away from me until usually close to 10 pm - he will wake constantly/cry if we try to take him off my lap into his crib.  Finally at about 10 he will usually be asleep enough that we can transfer him to his crib and then he will sleep until he wakes in the night (usually 2-3 times) to eat.  He settles back to sleep easily in the night after feeding so this is not a concern.  Has any one else had a similar problem?  What can we do to get him to sleep on his own?

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Don't know where to start
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 11:14:18 am »
Have you read Tracy's third book?

I think that will have all the answers you need.  You are right in that basically you need to break him of the association of feeding to sleep so he can sleep on his own.

I have to warn you, it doesn't work instantly.  You've probably got three or so tough nights, then another week or so of work at DS's age.

Also, read the sleep interview for some answers to lots of other questions that are common in doing PU/PD
Jenny