Author Topic: my baby has a fear please help  (Read 1267 times)

Offline sherilee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 12, 2005, 09:44:57 am »
My 8 weeks old baby had to have a lumbar puncture for suspected meningitis a few weeks ago and now will not allow us to place him on his side for the pat shh. He screams the place down as this is the position he was in for the test and now gets really scared. Also, the pat shh seems to wind him up and make him scream and I cannot calm him down. He also will not stay swaddled and almost suffocates himself with the blanket when he pulls it off. He takes an hour to settle for a nap and only naps for 30 mins no matter what I do to extend it and sleeps in blocks of 1 - 3 or four hours at night. Im at my wits end.

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
my baby has a fear please help
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 11:09:52 am »
Hi

Can you post a typical routine for us or are you all over the place at the moment?

I would say lots of your problems are linked to overtiredness.  With swaddling you need to do it pretty tight and maybe with a bigger blanket or sheet to make sure it doesn't become unravelled.

Have you been calming him completely in your arms and then lying him down?  Is that when he starts?

I'm not sure that the one lumbar puncture is the root of all your troubles so I wouldn't dwell on that if I were you.  I know it was horrible for you but I expect LO's problems come from not being well a few weeks ago and not having caught up on sleep.

Also, Can you tell us what type of baby he is?

Come back and we can see how we can help.
Jenny

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 11:26:33 am »
Hi Sherilee,
I thought I'd save you the trouble of posting your shedule for the day again (I tried to help in another post, but it doesn't look like I helped much - can anyone else try?). Here's the link:

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/i-cant-take-anymore-vp266430.html?highlight=#266430

HTH
Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
I've looked at Caroline's post and really I couldn't give you any better advice about your routine.

You need to get someone to help you for a day so you can get some sleep then start the EASY routine with a fresh brain.

You have got to stick with it, no feeding to sleep, no sleeping with you.  Do it exactly the same for the first few days even if you think it isn't working, it isn't magic, it doesn't work instantly.  But once you've got into it, you can then see where you might need to tweak it slightly.

Good luck
Jenny

Offline jayne

• Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 12:21:51 pm »
what temperment is your lo?? my dd was a touchy baby and i wasnt able to do independant sleeping until she was 3 months.

i bought a sling (if you want it i can ship it to you) and carried her around in it most of the day-- i then started sleep training after 3 months..

how was he before the test?? when was the test??

hang in there --
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004