Author Topic: 12 month old waking every 3-4 hours for a bottle!! (long)  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Costarican mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
12 month old waking every 3-4 hours for a bottle!! (long)
« on: September 12, 2005, 13:27:08 pm »
Hi ladies.... I feel like a total let down.... my 12 month old son Julian was never a great sleeper and finally, at 9 months, I got Tracy's book, and within 2 weeks, was able to get him to nap constantly, drop his midnight bottle and sleep thru the night.  I felt very proud of the both of us!  :D  It was all running along beautifully until at 11 months he was struck with a virus which has lasted a month to leave his body....that along with his molars coming in, made my husband and I resort to certain things which I knew would come back to hunt us...but we were just so desperate:  bringing him into our bed, bottles in the middle of the night (since he wouldn't eat anything during the day and would thus be starving), holding him to sleep....  :oops:   It seemed to ease his and our discomfort at the time, but now we have a huge problem in our hands..... I've been left with a baby who wakes up every 3-4 hours screaming for a bottle.
Last week we saw the doctor, so I'm sure his virus is gone.  The doc did mention that his other two mollars and his four eyeteeth (I think that's what you guys call them) are coming in all at once!  :?   He seems perfectly fine during the day.... so I don't really know if it is an issue for him during the night.  Anyhow, the doctor also kind of scolded me because he gained a whole pound in 2 weeks time, and I know it's from all that formula he's been having in the middle of the night!  :?   I've resorted to 2 scoops of formula per bottle, instead of 4, he doesn't care... then last night 1.5, he doesn't care...this is why I know the bottle is just a prop.... but how on Earth do I get rid of it????  Before it was just one bottle, now iit's like 3!!  I don't know how to go about it!
Here's an example of his day: 
5-5:30 am  Start of day
7-7:30  Breakfast
9-9:30  Bottle and Nap  (usually sleeps 1.5-2 hours)
12-12:30   Lunch
2-2:30  Bottle or other snack
5-5:30  Dinner
6:30-7  Bottle and bedtime
We've reinstated his bedtime routine:  diaper change, pijamas, teeth brushing, book reading and bottle.  He doesn't seem to fight it at all.
I don't want to let him cry it out.... I don't have the heart for it.... oh, and I do believe that he is going thru separation anxiety for the first time in his life....it's getting a bit better than it was a month ago, but it's still clearly there.... so add another factor to the equation!   I really need your help.  These nights are exhausting.... and here we were thinking of having another baby this coming year.....  :shock:
Thanks for your help,
Jackie

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 18:02:00 pm »
Hi Jackie!

At least you can comfort him with a bottle... I wish there was something on earth that would calm my ds in the middle of the night! :lol:

I'm thinking that in the midday snack where you mention snack or bottle you could split it into Snack AND bottle. That way he tanks his tummy for the day therefore, does not go that hungry into the night.

Also, is there a posibility that you might change the night bottles into plain boiled water? That did the trick a few months ago (my ds was 6 months but anyway might be worth to try). They end up finding that it's not worth the waking for just receiving water.

It seems that your lo is quite the eater!  :shock: Be sure he's getting enough food during the day so he won't wake from hunger at night.

A few tiring sessions of pat/shush and a paci would help you also during the first nights. HE should not be very troubled finding his way back since it hasn't been that long since his last training.

HTH! Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Costarican mom

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 19:28:58 pm »
Florencia...thanks for your reply!  Going back on the pacifier is not an option because he was addicted to it and the days to get him off it were a torture...so don't want to replace one prop for another.  I know that the whole bottle thing has nothing to do with hunger... I say so for the following reason:
Back when we did his initial sleep training, he was waking up once around midnight for a bottle.  I followed advice from this board, and started decreasing his bottle one ounce per night...he never protested... the only crying session took place the day the bottle was gone all together and that only lasted 30 minutes (which I guess is not that bad).... next night he was sleeping thru the night!!!!!!  That's how I got him off the bottle then... and had u seen him drink that bottle then, u would have thought he was starving...but no, it was merely a habit...it had nothing to do with hunger.  I really do think that is the case now as well; nevertheless I will follow your advice and up the food intake during the day just in case.
The thing is that I can't use that same strategy to eliminate the bottle because back then it was just one bottle...now it's however many times he decides to wake up during the night!!!!!  :shock: And he gets so hysterical.... I really don't know what else to do because not even holding him seems to calm him down. :cry:
So... any more suggestions?

Offline Costarican mom

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 19:35:23 pm »
Oh...and as far as switching the formula for water...that's actually the strategy I'm implementing now...I've slowly been decreasing the amount of formula in his bottles...I went from 4 scoops, to 2 scoops, to 1.5 scoops last night, and I'll try 1 scoop tonight.... so far he hasn't protested... maybe he'll protest the night it's plain water and the next night he'll sleep right thru....YEAH RIGHT!! I should be so lucky!!! Oh well, just wanted you to know I'm going to give that a try.  Thanks again!

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 00:01:18 am »
I would keep doing what you are doing now by decreasing the amount of formula and increasing the amount of water.  He may realize that water is not worth getting up for.  However, my ds who is 21 months still wakes usually once a night for a drink of water.

If this doesn't work I would suggest using PU/PD to help with the nightwakings.

Hope this helps a bit!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Costarican mom

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 18:26:45 pm »
Ok....so we've been on plain water for two nights now and Julian still wakes up at least twice a night and gulps down those bottles....  :?   He really doesn't seem to care it's not formula... so is it he's thirsty?  Or is the bottle just a prop or what on Earth is going on????!!!!!!!
He'll go to sleep fairly easily...it's not like he'll stay awake for hours..but still...I'm tired!  Should I just quit the bottle all together and start PD again?  He'll cry like crazy I'm sure.... but maybe eventually he'll stop... HELP!!!!!! Suggestions please.

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 17:30:20 pm »
Have you noticed an (even slightly) improvement since you switched to plain water? is it really hot where you live? is it a polluted/dry city? because he could be really thirsty.

Another thing you might want to try before the crying sessions start is to "wash" his nose. If the weather is really dry, that might wake him and hence, the need for a drink. That's because his mucose is dry. So, before bed time, you can spray him 2 shots of saline water in each nasal hole. Hold him facing down and spray, so the water goes up and then out of his nose. IT's like a quick wash. That way, his mucose will be moisturized for the night and we can find out if he's waking thirsty or from habit.

Also, give it a try to a pain med, because he might be teething and that's why the sucking comforts him.

If we rule out these ones, I'm afraid we'll have to get to Sleep Kamp :roll:

Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake