Author Topic: 3.5 month old no longer sleeping for 5 to 6 hr stretches  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Emmy's Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3.5 month old no longer sleeping for 5 to 6 hr stretches
« on: September 27, 2005, 06:21:56 am »
I've posted this on the feeding site but have realised it's more of a sleep issue and so have reposted here!

I have a 3.5 month old who used to sleep for 5 to 6 hour stretches of a night with another feed at about 1-2 am and 4-5am from when she was about 6 weeks of age, but for the last week (ever since her growth spurt) she has stopped and is now waking up every 2 to 3 hours to feed. I have never done a dreamfeed (as I didn't know about it). Should I start now? how long should growth spurts typically last? Could this be a phase that she will grow out of naturally? During the day she is on the 3 hr EASY and feeds for about 20 minutes (she has never been a long feeder). She seems to be taking less milk during the day though - she now drinks only about 60 to 120ml of expressed milk when previously was doing about 120 to 180ml.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

Offline Alyn Davis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 14:14:22 pm »
My DS was waking only once a night from weeks 8-12, typically falling asleep between 9-10pm and waking between 2-4am, then waking again between 6-8am (depending on the 2-4am wake-up). He would feed well at each of the wake-up times. Then for two nights in a row he slept 10pm until 6:45am! I was thrilled, thinking now that he was 3 months he would go through the night. Of course it didn't last. The past 4 nights he has fallen asleep around 8:30 (after a 7:30pm) feed and then wakes between 11:45-12:45am, then again between 2:45-4am, then wakes in the a.m. around 7:30. So we are doing 2 night feeds (since mom falls asleep around 10pm - i have tried to stay awake for the first one). I attempted DF twice and found it woke him up too much, he was, at that tiime, able to do a 6 hour stretch anyhow, so I wasn't worried.

Anyhow - my question is eating and sleep related. Is this a growth spurt? How long do these things last (in the past it always seemed like 2 days). Also, he has a very slight cold (green booger and some coughing). Could this be affecting it?

Sorry so long- it is my first post ever.
Mother of Ames Witt. :roll: