Author Topic: How easy is EASY from day 1?  (Read 1327 times)

hollyberri

How easy is EASY from day 1?
« on: September 12, 2005, 16:08:44 pm »
Hi Everyone

I am due to have my first baby in 8 days (and counting) and my partner and I are really eager to try EASY as soon as we leave hospital.

Can anyone offer advice on how the EASY plan worked for them, especially in the first few days.  I am confused on how many times to bf in the first few days.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Holly :lol:

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 16:40:57 pm »
Hi

There's a chart about breastfeeding in the first book I think.

For us, we started EASY straightaway and from my experience that was easier than waiting to start it later.

To start with, just try and get everything in the right order rather than worrying about timing.

Keep an EASY log and you'll start to see patterns developing.

Good luck
Jenny

Offline cazao

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 17:08:59 pm »
ditto to the above. we started on day 1, and by 7 weeks she was sleeping 12 hours at night and i put it all down to BW  :lol: . there is a chart in the first book..day 1 feed on demand, 5 minutes each breast, day 2 feed every 2 hours, 10 minutes on each breast, day 3 every 2.5 hours 15 minutes on each breast, and then day 4 start single side feedings every 2.5 to 3 hours, 40 minutes maximum on one breast each feed. and watch out for growth spurts...then you`ll need to go back to feeding a lot more often...they typically happen about at a week, 3 weeks and 6 weeks, 3 months etcetc
but as johnosmum says don`t get hung up on the timing....the main thing in the first few weeks is to try and get the EAS order right...ie try not to feed to sleep so that connection isn`t made, and try not to hold lo to sleep, so she gets used to falling asleep in her bed. but also reember the first few weeks are nuts and there will be times when you have to do whatever you have to do to get lo asleep and that`s OK too...there were times when i held, fed and snuggled her to sleep and i felt so guilty about it but those few times didn`t stop her getting herself into a great EASY pattern by about 5 weeks old. so stay as consistent as you can and at the same time really try to enjoy lo as much as you can...they stay that little for such a short time.
FWIW my main learning in those first few weeks was how short the A time needed to be. the moment dd yawned we had her into a short winddown and in the crib..the A in those first few weeks was just a quick diaper change or snuggle on mummy`s shoulder...that kind of thing. i was worried about us understimulating her so much she`d end up developmentally delayed or something  :roll: but she`s now as smart and funny and active as any child could be.
hope this helps. post back if you have more questions, and good luck...you`re in for an amazing ride.
Our beautiful baby girl is....

Offline Mom2Ben

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 03:23:22 am »
My son is 8 weeks and I would just tell you that in the beginning, getting them to wake up after they ate was seriously impossible.   I would do everything.   Strip him, blow on him, wipe his face, etc.   Nothing worked.  But after a couple weeks, he started to wake up.   

Maybe your baby will be easier than mine.   But don't be discouraged, they will eventually wake up!
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Gigismom

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 20:38:29 pm »
first let me say that e.a.s.y. is totally worth it and you will be so glad you did it...
BUT for the first few days (ok, weeks) do NOT feel pressured to get everything right.  seriously, just enjoy that precious time with your baby.  it will be gone before you know it!!
i spent the first 3 months or so of my dd's life obsessing about her sleeping, eating, etc and was so angry, frustrated, stressed, etc when things didn't go "by the book".    i wish more than anything that i could go back and just enjoy her sweet little self and not stress about anything.
we tried putting her on easy from day 1...no small feat..in fact, for us anyway it was impossible.  she insisted on eating every 2 hours, would not sleep unless someone was holding her (except at night), and could not stay awake for any length of time.  so what we decided to do (after many needless tears on my part) was to take e.a.s.y in steps.  for the first month, i just worked on getting the feeds 2.5 hours apart.  for the second month, we worked on the e-a-s order of events.  then when she was about 8 weeks, we started sleep training. 
so my best advice to you is by all means try e-a-s right off the bat if you want to.  but if things don't go so well at first, take it in steps or try later.  most importantly enjoy your baby no matter what.  i once read that babies are like slow cooking stews rather than "on the brink of disaster" souffles...you have lots of time to correct your mistakes with them.  of course the earlier you start the better and easier it will be, but don't stress if things don't go as planned right away.
like i said, we didn't really start the true "easy" plan until dd was over 2 months, but she did fine and is a great sleeper (usually!!). 
congratulations and good luck.  you will find lots of support here.