Author Topic: I went cold turkey  (Read 1554 times)

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: September 09, 2005, 15:28:24 pm »
Its finally happened. She was crying so hard last night, not because of the pacifier. I think more of a separation anxiety cry (Kind of "don't leave me", if there is such a thing, or am I reading too much), and decided there and then to atleast have one good thing come out all her crying, and took away her pacifier.

So, this morning, for her first nap, it wasn't too bad, she fussed really loudly for five minutes and fell asleep without it. But, after her 30 minute jolt, let her play for 15 minutes, hoping she would go back to sleep on her own. Then she started to fuss, again really loudly, but since it was sort of a mantra cry, resisted the urge to go in and was successful for another 15 minutes. Then her cries escalated. Went in. Tried to calm her down. She just kept crying intermittently (like a big wah for a few seconds and silence for a few seconds) with her eyes closed. So,I thought she was sleepy and kept trying to lay her down in the middle of all this, but after almost an hour of doing this, picked her up, and now she is playing happily.

Will try again for the afternoon nap. Hope that goes better. Need lots of support from you guys to go thru' with this.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
I went cold turkey
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 16:46:17 pm »
Keep it up! I know you can get through it! If you haven't introduced a lovey of some sort you might want to try, like a stuffed animal or blanket. That might help soothe her and help replace the paci if she's not sucking her thumb. Yeah, it is replacing one habit with another, but this one is not as bad imo.

BTW, she's really cute!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 23:54:39 pm »
Thanks so much for your support. Just trying to ride it out (and feeling like the worst mother). I know it has to be done, and I know she is only telling me we don't do things this way when she cries, then why do I feel sooooooo guilty? Shedoes have a teddy, but hasn't really taken to it yet, although we introduced it shen she was six months old. Maybe she will now.

Trying to be brave about it. Really appreciate your kind words for her, too.

Sumita

Offline jayne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 01:47:52 am »
sounds like you are doing great :D  :D 

sounds like you are using tracy's

S TOP
L  ISTEN
O  BSERVE
W  HATS UP

awsome job at reading your babies cues and not doing cc or cio... it is hard to reteach them but you are doing a great job.. keep it up :D  :D
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline ambersmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
I went cold turkey
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 13:32:44 pm »
just wondered how it is going today? I found day 3 of trying to change my babies sleep habits hard going. hang on in there Sumita!

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 16:40:42 pm »
Hi Juliet,

Its not been smooth sailing, but we're trying to stick with it. She still fusses (and I mean fuss, I just want to reach out and hold her, but I know it is for her own good) anywhere from 5-20 minutes, but one good thing that has come out of it has been her morning nap was 1 hr and 20 min long this morning. I am hoping it is not a fluke and that it really did help her to lengthen her naps.

Hang in there. They say it gets worse before it gets better. Here's hoping for good naps and better sleep habits for our lo's.

Keep me posted on how its going.

Sumita

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
I went cold turkey
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 00:45:05 am »
Don't worry! Infants have short memories!! 

Hang in there.. each day will get better and better!

By the way, you're not a terrible mother at all!  You are a loving, caring mama!

Big hugs!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:56:51 am »
Thanks Jane for your kind words. Getting rid of the pacifier has been working, and she has been giving me two long(ish naps), sometimes one, sometimes both are long, but I can't seem to shake her needing me to either resettle her or leave the room. She still sleeps on her own when I lay her down, but come her jolt, she will cry and cry. Have tried not going in, but then my heart just breaks to see her cry like this. Even when she's almost asleep, and I try to take my hand off her back, she'll start to cry again. Do I just ride it out and hope it gets better someday?

Will it ever be possible? Please suggest something that might work.

Sumita