Author Topic: How much is your 9 month old eating?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: September 12, 2005, 20:13:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just wondering, since my almost 9 month old dd is a small eater, just wondering how much are your lo's eating (so I can have an idea of what is normal), and if anyone has any suggestions how I can increase her diet.

Thanks in advance,

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
How much is your 9 month old eating?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 22:25:25 pm »
Hi Sumita,
My 9 mos old will only drink about 16 - 20 oz a day of formula (plus a few sips of water from his cup here and there).  He eats three meals, plus some snacks of cheerios, especially when we are in the store to keep him happy - bad habit, I know.  For his meals, I usually spoon feed him while he is eating finger foods on his tray.

For breakfast, he will eat about 1/3 - 1/2 a mug of cereal mixed with fruit.  He also snacks on cheerios while I am spoon feeding him.

For lunch, he usually has about 4 oz of baby yogurt and will eat pieces of food from his tray, like maybe a waffle (he will eat about 1/4 of it).

For dinner, he will eat a 4 oz jar of veggies, and will eat pieces of food from his tray, like pieces of chicken or turkey. 

Hope that helps...
Sheila
ng

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 23:32:48 pm »
Hi there,

Dd drinks between 20-24 oz. of formula plus sips of water as well. For breakfast she usually has a cube of fruit (I make the baby food) cut up in pieces now or pureed with 3tblsp. of cereal. (dry) Plus cheerios. For lunch it's usually a tblsp. of yogurt and a food cube (usually a mix of veggies/meat/fish, etc) sometimes two cubes and for supper two food cubes and 3tblsp of cereal with the ever present cheerios.  :lol: Sometimes she'll have cooked pasta as a finger food, cheese, bits of chicken, etc. as finger food with the meals too. We just started snacks before the first nap and after the second as we're tweaking her bottle feeds at the moment. Snacks are usually just water and crackers, or cheerios, cheese, etc.

Hope that helps...and sorry if it's a bit confusing...dd is calling me! :lol:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 00:15:13 am »
You'll probably hear lots of responses with tons of food :D , but here's what my dd was eating at about 9 months on a really good day (and she's not eating much more now at 11 months!):

BF 4-5 times per day
Breakfast - 2-3 Tbsp cereal mixed with fruit and breastmilk
Lunch - 1 cube mixed meat and veggies and sometimes a bit more veggies on a really good day, 1 ice cube fruit
Supper - 1-2 cubes mixed meat and veggies, 1 cube fruit

She still managed to gain weight with this (and she'd only eat this much maybe once a week - the rest of the week it's much less :roll: ). HTH!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 01:49:50 am »
Thanks a lot for your responses. Especially Erin. It just gives me satisfaction that Mihika is going to be ok. I know all moms say their child doesn't eat much (atleast from where I come from), but seriously, on a good day she'll have 20 oz of milk, and 4 tbsp of solids in a 24 hour duration. I've read so many posts where moms ask "is this too much" and I keep thinking when will she get there.

But I guess, I should just relax, and as long as she's happy, active and gaining weight I shouldn't worry too much.

Thanks again. You ladies are wonderful.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 02:13:49 am »
You got it, Simita.  Every baby is different.  You're absolutely right that if she is happy and gaining weight, forget numbers...  You have a beautiful little one...   :)
Sheila
ng

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:37:14 pm »
Glad to help and it's nice for ME to see other moms with tiny-eater babies!  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 23:56:13 pm »
My DS also doesn't eat very much.  He is a pretty big boy but he just doesn't like to sit in his high chair long enough to eat enough solids.  I too worry that he doesn't eat enough but I can't really make him eat anymore then he wants to.  He currently is BF 4-5 a day and he still wakes at night to eat too.  I wish he would eat more so that I could have a good nights sleep but I haven't been so lucky.  He was doing really well at the begining of August and then we went away camping for 3 days and everything has been messed up since then.  Oh well I just hope and pray that he will start sleeping through by the time I go back to work, but honestly I am so used to waking up now that I probably wouldn't be able to sleep through the night if I could.