Author Topic: 7-12 mths, BF frequency & solids?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
7-12 mths, BF frequency & solids?
« on: September 12, 2005, 21:54:22 pm »
My 7.5 mo DS eats 3 meals of solids a day, about 3-4 oz each.  He nurses 4x a day (dropped the 5th night feeding 1.5 weeks ago).  I estimate he's getting about 32-40 oz. a day now.

I'm having a hard time finding information on recommended BFing amounts for post-solids, post-6 month babies (until I start weaning him around 1 year).

Right now we:
7:00 BF
8:00 solids
11~11:30 BF
12~12:30 solids
~4:00 BF
5~5:30 solids
6:30 BF
7:00 bed

My problem is the feedings after 4:00.  It's all so close together!  He doesn't SEEM to take as much at either BF session, but he does okay at dinner with solids.  I tried reducing lunch so he'll BF better at 4:00, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I really don't want to reduce dinner because he started sleeping through the night once I added this meal (and I've been waiting for this day for 7+ months!  :lol: ).

I've seen a few people mention dropping to 3 feeds at some point.  Is this okay and when?  They also mention about dropping the 11 am/lunch BF.  But for us, it seems it would be better to drop the 4 or 6:30 pm BF (and combine).  We don't BF for our bedtime routine, so would it be feasible to BF around 4:30 and have dinner around 6-6:30?

I'm just not sure how all of this is supposed to work now that he can stay up longer and is eating solids well.
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline tabrenna

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 03:41:24 am »
Julie, my DS has just turned 8 months and I am down to 3 bfs a day.  He eats 3 meals and I have started trying to get him an afternoon snack. (Its all in the timing of the nap). 

I wanted him to take a sippy cup of formula and for the first while he was only taking up to 2 oz but will now drink the whole thing (4 oz) - not necessarily in one sitting.  He also will drink water in the sippy cup.  He wouldn't take the formula in the sippy cup when it was warm but really enjoys it now since I make it with cold water. 

Hope this helps. 

Terri

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 12:49:50 pm »
Hi Julie - sorry I don't really have any suggestions as my lo is still nursing about 4 times a day (more on the weekend!).  But my feeling is that as long as his weight gain is good, he's getting enough milk at whatever frequency (3 or 4 times!) and his sleep isn't affected, then whatever works for both of you is fine.  Just keep the milk in there - it's still the primary source of nutrition for the first year.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 15:51:02 pm »
In my opinion, if your lo takes in total 32 to 40 oz, it is perfectly enough for him.

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 15:53:00 pm »
Hey Julie - great question!  I was wondering the same thing.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)