Author Topic: yelling "mama" - go in or wait for cry?  (Read 962 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
yelling "mama" - go in or wait for cry?
« on: September 12, 2005, 22:04:51 pm »
My 7.5 DS is starting to say "mama" more and more.  He used to do it while crying, so it was a no brainer to go in and tend to him.  But now he says it clearer, and when he's not crying.  But he's still fussing on and off in bed.  Do I still wait for an actual cry?  At what point in a child's age/development does the crying stop being the cue, and I should respond to his "call" instead?

I'm just concerned about him thinking I'm ignoring his calls for me.  During the day, he crawls over to me, climbs up my legs, and says mama when he needs a little cuddle.
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
yelling "mama" - go in or wait for cry?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:35:38 am »
Not sure when it changes but I wait still for actual distress before going back in. Dd yells dada and unless she's really getting worked up I try to stay out. If he crawls to you and says mama when he wants a cuddle I think he's just trying to get you back into the room to cuddle at night. When dd gets upset yelling dada but isn't crying I sometimes go back in, don't make eye contact and just say in a low voice "we're right here, but it's time to go night night." I put her blankie back in her arms, pat her head and leave again. She's learned now we're not going to play, KWIM?

Hope that helps somewhat...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008