Author Topic: Sleep  (Read 1086 times)

Adriana Perez

Sleep
« on: September 13, 2005, 01:00:33 am »
My 10 weeks girl used to sleep by herself since she got reflux on grade 3 at week 5.  Since then she only sleep if I walk her, she can't sleep anymore by herself and also she is skipping her naps during the day.  I can't get her to sleep before noon till 9:00 pm.  Please I need an advice!
How can I get her to sleep alone again?  Should I leave her cry?

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 02:25:43 am »
Hi!  Congratulations on your new baby!  Gosh, it seems like your baby is having a tough time.  I have a couple questions.  Is your little one on any reflux medication?  The pain can definitely interfere with her sleep.  Also, can you let us know what the typical daily routine is?  What time does your day start?  How often is she eating?  What do you do as a wind-down ritual.  For a 10 week old, a 3 hour routine is probably best.  For example, your day would start around 7 am, and you would feed her.  She can probably stay awake for about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.  You can then start your wind-down routine (quick walk outside, change diaper, sing song, close curtains), and use pat-shush to get her to sleep.  The goal is to get her to learn to fall asleep on her own without needing you to walk her to sleep.  You are just there for support.  On the other hand, letting her cry on her own creates many problems. 

Sorry that things are so hard.  It WILL get better.  If you have time, let us know some of those details, and we can see if we can give you more answers.   (((HUGS)))
Sheila
ng

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Sleep
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 18:10:33 pm »
i agree - leaving her to CIO will probably cause more problems in the long run.

in addition to the great advice above, you may also want to elevate your lo's mattress at one end.  stick a blanket or 2 underneath to prop it up - that should help with the reflux too.

routines are great, and once you decide what you would like to include, make sure you do it the same way every time.  it won't work immediately, but once she has it, she will have learned it for life.

good luck & HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy