Author Topic: dream feed - time limit?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline nikipowerssa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
dream feed - time limit?
« on: September 13, 2005, 04:27:46 am »
i have just started dream feeding and my little 7 week old girl has taken them well so far - she never got beyound 4hrs sleep before and i would have to go to bed at 8pm to get enough sleep (she takes a long time to wind!).  This recent night,however, she took longer to settle (wanted more feeds after bath than usual) and went to bed and sleep at 8.30pm instead of the usual 7pm.  When i tried the df at 10.30pm she hardly took any and was reluctant to latch on.  did i go in too early?  i find it difficylt to stay up until later and it is an awkward time to sleep beforehand - i had enjoyed getting my evenings back!  Any advice?
mum to izzy - currently 5weeks old

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
dream feed - time limit?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 17:08:03 pm »
Hi.  Hmmm, I am thinking that maybe she didn't want the dream feed because she got to bed a little bit later that night, and just wasn't hungry for it yet.  If you aim for the 7 or 7:30 bedtime, she should be more willing to take a feed at 10-11.  I personally could NEVER stay up until 10:30 or 11 for the first couple months.  I think there were days when I went to bed at 6!  So I either got hubby to do the dreamfeed, or if both of us were zonked, I set the alarm for 10 or 11.  I figured that if I woke up to feed DS at this time, then one day, he would be able to sleep longer at night, and I would finally be able to stay up until after dreamfeed.  I hope tonight's DF goes better!
Sheila
ng

Offline nikipowerssa

• Showing Appreciation 0
dream feed - time limit?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 20:28:47 pm »
Thanks for the message.  Last night she took nothing!  She fell asleep at 7.30pm and I fed at 11pm.  We were back to evry 2hrs waking but her winding was much easier so it only took about 40mins for every feed.  I am going to try 10 pm tonight ( she went to sleep at 7.15pm).  I can't see there is any harm in trying!  Funnily enough, she has begun to have paddies about an hour before bathtime that last for about an hour.  She cluster feeds then begins her paddy about 20 mins later.  She is calm when being bathed and when having her last feed before bedtime and still settles to sleep with no problems.  Don't know if this is linked. We can handle the paddies fine ( we find it quite amusing what she can manage to do with her mouth!).

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
dream feed - time limit?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 17:12:36 pm »
Any luck last night?
Sheila
ng

Offline nikipowerssa

• Showing Appreciation 0
dream feed - time limit?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 21:43:31 pm »
Well, I have had a major rethink after buying the baby whisperer book!  Had to undo a few bad habits - take a look at my other message.  X