Author Topic: Waking up to play at 4am. Help!!!  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Luliu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2005, 08:47:35 am »
I have a 6 wk old DS that has fortunately been sleeping through the night since last week, but now at the time of his night feed (4 or 5am) he has been waking up and playing in his crib. He unswaddles himself and you can hear him kicking his legs, cooing and sucking his thumb even though he doesn't always find his mouth.

He has not gone back to sleep on his own and has been known to stay awake playing for about 2hrs. I'm not sure if he will fall asleep himself if we leave him to it because in our exhaustion and you could say impatience, to get him off to sleep, myself and DBF give him his pacifier and within 15 mins he is asleep. I am worried that he will become dependent on his pacifier to sleep.

He is quite spirited and does not settle easily for his naps and as a result very quickly becomes overtired. The pacifier is then used to help calm him before he falls asleep.

He doesn't cry wanting to be fed at this time and I don't think he has his day and night mixed up because he follows his daytime routine quite well. He is fed every 4hrs and takes it all and he naps for about 2 1/2 hours but he will occasionally stay awake through his nap, especially if we have a visitor or if we go out.

Does any body have any suggestions to stop him waking up at this unsociable hour. And could any body please comment on our use of the pacifier, im worried i could be over using it.

Luliu  xxx
Mum of Joshua

Offline charliered99

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 11:22:25 am »
Have you tried the "pat/shush" technique to help your baby learn how to fall asleep on his own?

My 6 week old follows a 3 hour routine during the day has a dream feed somewhere between 10.30 and 11pm, wakes at around 5am settles herself usually within around 15mins (night time only mind you!) and then usually again wakes around 8am, then we start the 3 hour routine...

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Waking up to play at 4am. Help!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 18:13:19 pm »
hmmm... at night i would likely never go in there unless there was actual crying.  there are several developmental stages where the babies just wake up (and why it's always 4am i don't know!  :roll: ) and work out the jitters.

i'd turn the monitor lower and try & wait him out.  he may surprise you!  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy