Author Topic: Really need some help!!! PLEASE  (Read 1497 times)

Offline tncmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2005, 10:32:30 am »
My 20 month old has been waking up in the night and talking, squealing, laughing etc.  It started when we moved in April but has gotten worse and worse.  Now he is waking up and staying up for 3-4 hours in the middle of the night 5 or 6 nights a week.  There is no certain time he wakes (sometimes 12:30 or 2:45 or 3)  He doesn't act especially tired during the day and goes to bed great at night.  He is taking one nap during the day.  What do I do?  I am thinking about getting him out of the crib but am scared that he will be not only talking but getting up.  I have just hoped that it would go away but now he is starting to wake up his 3 month old sister and she is just starting to sleep really well at night.

Offline Tamara

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
Really need some help!!! PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 10:39:47 am »
Uuhm.... I'm really not sure as I personally have not encountered this problem.

The main thing I thought on reading your post was do not get him up as I'm certain this will only make the prob worse, he'll then think it's time to get up.

Is he in his own room?

Does he call for you/Dh?

Whrer is his little sister sleeping?

Offline tncmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:38:59 am »
He is in his own room.  I never go in and get him up.  The baby is in another room across the hall but he is REALLY loud.  He has never slept in the bed with us either so I am really nervous about going to a real bed.  He has been a great sleeper since 8 weeks with only a few nights of random night waking since then.

Offline Tamara

• UK
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 11:45:19 am »
I can't see how taking him out of the crib and putting him in a bed would help at all, as you say, it'll probably only result in him being able to get out of the bed as well, plus it would be another disruption to how he's been used to sleeping.

If necessary, because he's so loud, go in to him, no light on, low,low voice, "night time, time to sleep" settle him down (does he have any comfort objects? - make sure he has those), if he asks for anything - the response msut be no, the only exception being a drink of water, have the cup in your bedroom ready incase and take it in with you.

If you can - I wouldn't go in at all, but I realise that if he's so lous he wakes the baby then you probably can't sleep either.

See if going in helps him to resettle

Good luck

Offline tncmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 16:58:42 pm »
One night last week I tried to go in and settle him back down.  After I left, he cried for about 30 sec. and then went back to talking.  I guess I am so frustrated because I haven't done anything about it and now it has been going on for 5 months.

Offline Tamara

• UK
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:01:57 am »
5 months?

Well, i guess it'll take a bit of time to rectify in that case - at the mo. I cn't think of anything else to suggest, however, I'll continue to have a think - and if you can keep us updated as to how it's going or of any changes

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:37:06 am »
I'm not surprised you are so stressed out, it must be doing your head in wondering what is causing this. My only thought is to have a look at his diet. There may be something in his diet that he is sensitive to that is causing wakefulness.
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)