Author Topic: TAKING WATER  (Read 1625 times)

Offline PEONY1318

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2005, 11:52:13 am »
Hi

Are there any mums out there who are having difficulty getting their LO to take boiled water between feeds?

I am formula feeding my LO and am worried that he will get constipated as he has been having some small dark greenish hard poo.

I've heard that you can give the water from boiled prunes to LO> Does anyone know how to make this , or is it simply just boiling some prunes in some water!? Also I do not want to put sugar of any type in the water to encourage my LO to drink the water as do not want to encourage sweet tooth so young and bad for his gums!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
TAKING WATER
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:05:59 pm »
Hi

My DD was really fussy with water at first. She used to take a bit then give me this look that said "That's not milk.....what are you giving me??". She did eventually get used to it though and would take an oz or two.

How old's your lo? If your worried about constipation you can try some Califig (which is basically syrup of figs) or our doctor suggested we give DD a 2.5ml spoonful of pure orange juice (that worked for us).

Babies will generally drink if they're thirst and won't if they're not. If he's over 4 months you could try a sippy cup with water, that might work.

love
Marie

Offline N Lou

• Showing Appreciation 64
TAKING WATER
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 12:09:01 pm »
My ds hated water also when he was a baby!! Now he loves the stuff!!!
We just kept trying him with it between the feeds and he eventually started drinking it, maybe only an ounce at a time but it was better than nothing.
I asked my doctor about it and she said to make a weak formula using only half the amount of scoops to the water but i don't know if this is totally safe, so we didn't do that.
As for the prunes i would guess you just boil some and then sieve it just incase any bits are in there, wait to cool and then offer to baby.
If you are worried i would see your doc or health professional for advice.

HTH
Nina Lou

Offline PEONY1318

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 14:25:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice!

It's such a relief to know that it's not just my LO who doesn't like water!

He is 14 weeks at the mo, he would usually take, I'd say about 3 ounces during the course of 24 hour period. But I will keep persevering with the water and will try the suggested remedies if it does come to that!

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
TAKING WATER
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 14:26:32 pm »
when it comes to water for your baby.. when do you know if you need it. My dd doesn't get water at all, I didn't think you were supposed to. I use consentrate for the formula and mix it per the instructions. So far I havn't seen any problems with it. What should I watch for? When would I give her water?
Kimberly

Offline PEONY1318

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 14:28:19 pm »
Hi Nina Lou

Sorry forgot to let you know that you are right about the formula, if you give less powder to water then the formula will not completely fill your LO's tum up, as will too much powder to water will cause constipation!

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
TAKING WATER
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 15:31:43 pm »
Quote from: Karita
when it comes to water for your baby.. when do you know if you need it. My dd doesn't get water at all, I didn't think you were supposed to. I use consentrate for the formula and mix it per the instructions. So far I havn't seen any problems with it. What should I watch for? When would I give her water?

Hi!  Don't even worry about giving your dd water for a long while.  Formula is all she needs for now.  We just started giving ds sips of water from a sippy cup around 6 mos.   :)
Sheila
ng

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
TAKING WATER
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 20:17:03 pm »
Hi just a small note about water and constipation it's just an opinion as these will vary from Dr to Dr but my Doc recomended brown sugar and water too, for constipation, I too was against it but he said it naeeds the brown sugar other wise it will pass straight out the bladder. I had spoken to him about orange juice and water and he recomended I avoided it as it can cause allergies at such an early age. Just some info so you can make an informed decision. i give my LO just a tiny bit 1/4 tsp of sugar in 5 ounces of water. I find it works well, I intend to slowly cut the sugar out when he goes more easily.

Hope this info was of some help.

Natalie.

Offline N Lou

• Showing Appreciation 64
TAKING WATER
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 16:54:56 pm »
Quote from: Karita
when it comes to water for your baby.. when do you know if you need it.  What should I watch for? When would I give her water?

Formula fed babies may need extra water betweens feeds.  What you should look out for are signs of de-hydration such as sunken eyes, dry mouth and a sunken 'soft spot' on their head.  These can be signs that your lo needs more water.
Breastfed babies generally don't need extra water as they get it all from the breast milk.

HTH
Nina Lou