Author Topic: CANT GET HIM TO SLEEP ALL NIGHT IN THE COT  (Read 1353 times)

Offline chicka

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
CANT GET HIM TO SLEEP ALL NIGHT IN THE COT
« on: September 13, 2005, 12:47:41 pm »
I need help please my son is 11 months old and still not sleeping through the night. I have to get him to sleep in the pram as if i put him in the cot he just screams and screams. He sleeps for about two hours then wakes up again and wont go off until i put him back in the pram to get him off.
He then spends the rest of the night in the pram but still constantly wakes up several times during the night.
i work full time and it is tiring me out i have tried tracys books but had no sucsess.
Please help me before i go completly insane. :cry:

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:55:08 pm »
just wanted to send a hug your way as i haven't really got anything concrete in the advice dept to offer (my lo is only 4 months and also hasn't yet slept through)

good luck and i am certain you will get some good advice here soon!

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 18:34:44 pm »
HI Chicka,

It sounds like you're ready for a full night's sleep!  What you've been doing is teaching your little one that when he screams, he gets to go in the pram, so he keeps doing it.  He will sleep through the night in his cot but you have to be VERY CONSISITENT with these methods to get him there.  How does your son fall asleep?  Is he able to fall asleep on his own without any rocking, holding, etc?  If not, then we need to teach him how to do this.  Is your son on EASY?  Have you read any of the BW books?  Tell me about his schedule during the day with naps and everything.  Do you feed him at night when he wakes up?  Give us some more info and we'll be able to help you!

Best wishes,
Sara
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline chicka

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 07:09:58 am »
he doesnt fall asleep on his own he has to be rocked in the pram i have read the baby whisperer book but nothing seems to work for me. I havent got him on EASY need more explanation on this please. This is his current rountine

WAKES AT 5AM
FEEDS WITH BOTTLE AT 5.30 - 6.00 AM
HAS NAP AT 8.00AM TILL 9.00AM

BREAKFAST AT 9AM
PLAYS UNTIL 12.00PM
HAS LUNCH AT 12.00 WITH A BOTTLE AND PUDDING
PLAYS FOR A WHILE
SLEEPS 1/2 NAP AT 1.00PM
WAKES AT 1.30PM
PLAYS UNTIL 3.00PM

BOTTLE AT 3PM
PLAYS UNTIL 5.00PM

TEA AT 5.00PM
WITH BOTTLE AND PUDDING

PLAYS UNTIL 6.00PM
BATH
BOTTLE 7.15PM
ROCKED TO SLEEP AT 7.30PM

it is a complete nightmare any help you can offer me i would be grateful i am desperate for him to sleep in the cot and all night.
i have tried letting him cry it just makes him worse. :cry:

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 17:06:33 pm »
Quote from: chicka
i have tried letting him cry it just makes him worse. :cry:

Hi Chicka,

You are right, letting him cry does make everything worse.  I'm glad you don't want to use that method!  Ok, so you've read the book and you are familiar with EASY.  EASY is just making sure that Eating and Sleeping are separated by Activity so that the baby doesn't depend on eating to get to sleep.  You actually do have him on pretty much an EASY schedule alredy.  According to your schedule, you never give him a bottle right before sleep except for at night, which is ok.  The only thing that is not working is him having to be rocked to sleep.  I believe that is your whole problem.  He is used to being rocked, so he can't get back to sleep on his own when he wakes up in the middle of the night.  That is where we need to start.  Have you read Tracy's sleep interview where she explains the pick up put down method?  I believe that is what is going to work for you.  You basically put him in his cot, then when he stands up you lay him back down, over and over until he is calm enough to pat off to sleep.  There will be a lot of crying, but that is ok because you will be right there with him, so no trust will be broken. There is loads of helpful information on the pick up put down board that will help you, too, so please hop over there and read as much as you can before you start. Have you read the newest BW book - the BW solves all your problems?  That has a lot of strategies for your challenge too.  The sleep interview is available to download at the top of this forum.  I would suggest reading that, then getting back to me with questions.

Good luck with the reading, when you are ready to start, let me know and I'll try to help!

Oh yeah, you said you that nothing worked for you in the BW book...what exactly have you tried?
Sara
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline chicka

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 06:47:32 am »
thanks for the reply feeling like i have some support i have tried pick up put down before but end up rocking him again because he just crys what is the pat to sleep i havent read this bit or i thought he was to old for it cant remember which.
I will try to download it from the above and read through it again but when you have to get up for work the next day it is so easy to give in to him and it kills me when he crys.
Speak to you soon if i have any questions  :wink: