Author Topic: Habitual waking or growth spurt?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline pls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2005, 18:11:54 pm »
My daughter will be 12 weeks on Thursday.  We've been battling trush so she has not nursed all that well for about a week or so but goes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours during the day.  I dream fed her at 10 for 2 nights in a row and she woke between 5 and 6 for a feeding and ate well.  First night she went right back to sleep, second night took some patting and shushing.  So last night, I dream fed her later hoping she'd wake up after 6 am or even seven so we can start our day.  We'll she woke up at 5.20 ish was wide awake and could not settle herself.  I tried pat shush but to no avail she started the hungry cry.  So I gave her a bottle and she had all of it (some 4 oz - which is what she has at her dream feed too).  I then had to pat shush her back to dream land. 
So, since she had the whole bottle I am thinking this has to do with her growth spurt and our nursing problems during the day or do you think we are starting a bad habitual waking/accidental parentin problem?
Thanks

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
Habitual waking or growth spurt?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 18:28:52 pm »
Hi there,

To me, it sounds like she is hungry since she is taking a full feed.  There is a growth spurt for many babies around the three month mark, and since she hasn't been feeding well during the day for a week or so, that might be part of the problem too.  I would go ahead and keep things the same, trying to get as much into her during the day as you can.  Then, if she is still waking when you know she is getting what she needs during the day you can work on eliminating the feeds at night.

Does that make sense?
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Habitual waking or growth spurt?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:42:10 am »
also at 12wo, she is doing ok if she is going from a dream feed to about 5am... that is 7+ hours & if she is bf & going 3.5- 4 hours at 12wo, I think you are doing great. , you might find if you dropped back to totally 3.5 hours you would get closer to a 7am wakeup.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05