Author Topic: How do I make up for shorter naps?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Sistahduch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2005, 19:27:26 pm »
Hi.  We are 1.5 weeks into our 3 hour EASY and during the day, she often naps for only a short time (like 30 min).

When she wakes, I try to put her back to sleep, but sometimes it's just not happening.  In those instances, should I just go ahead and feed her and readjust our routine's schedule, or is it okay to go back to some activity until it's time for the next feed.

Also, when she wakes from naps - she is not generally displaying hunger cues, so I don't think she's neccessarily hungry (of course she wil ALWAYS take the breast if offered).

Thanks
1Love
Sistah Duch

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How do I make up for shorter naps?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:49:15 am »
If your lo is at proper birthweight then I would see if you can just do some quiet time together if she isnt going back to sleep. This way you're telling her that she should be sleeping but since she's unwilling you're just going to have quiet time.  BUT, if she wakes up 30 minutes before her scheduled feed I'd go ahead and feed her.  IF your lo is of low birthweight, sick or premature then you must feed her.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
How do I make up for shorter naps?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 00:07:25 am »
Hi there,

This is typical newborn behaviour. You may want to look at her day as awake time and sleep time, and just make sure that you are separating her feed from her sleep time (so that she doesn't associate the breast with falling asleep.)

Hang in there, her day sleep will consolidate, it just takes time!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004