Author Topic: She won't take a pacifier - help!  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Sistahduch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2005, 19:31:39 pm »
When dd was first born, we decided that we weren't going to give her a pacifier.  Well, that was before I discovered the joys and sorrows of BFing and comfort sucking.  So at about 5 weeks, we decided that she NEEDED the paci (and mommys nips needed a break).

But now we have tried 4 different brands (laytex and silicone) with her and she REFUSES to suck on any of them.  In fact, she gets even more upset when we try to give her a paci.

She can't quite control her arms enough to sich her fingers yet, and I can't have her comfort sucking on me, so we'd like her to use a paci for now.  Does anyone have any tips/tricks for getting her to suck on one?  I've tried dipping it in mylicon (she seems to like the taste) but no dice.

Thanks.
1Love
Sistah Duch

Offline jamie3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
She won't take a pacifier - help!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 20:58:44 pm »
My son also HATED a pacifier. We tried everything we could think of, but no luck. It seems like some babies take to them and some don't. My middle son LOVED his, but the otehr two were a no go. Someone had suggested to me using the aussie swaddle. (I tried to find the link to the post which illustrates it, but I can't find it. Anyone else happen to have it? It showed pictures of someone actually swaddling their lo.) What it is is a way to swaddle so that her fists will be wrapped tightly up close to her mouth enabling her to suck on them. It worked great for my ds. He could never quite get his fists to his mouth on his own, but this swaddle allowed him easy access to them.
I hope someone can get you some illustrations because its hard to explain how to do it with just words.
Edited to add: I FOUND IT! http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/swaddling-technique-aka-quotaussie-swaddle-quot-vt1439.html?sid=f2fe28872744d0224bf14d9596ff93fc

Good luck, Jamie
Married May 2000
Jacob - Born August 28, 1999
Toby - Born March 4, 2002
Alex - Born March 30, 2005

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 21:36:34 pm »
Katie NEVER took a pacifier, no matter what we did.  I let her suck on my finger, still a prop, but at least it didn't get nearly as sore as the nipples.  She discovered her own thumb shortly before 4 months and has no need of anything else now.  Hang in there, it gets easier!
Erin

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 22:36:54 pm »
I was the same - didn't want to use a pacifier...then at about 5 weeks, I was frantically trying to get her to take one to give my nipples a break and stop the constant crying in the evenings! Never got her to take a paci, although thanks to the Happiest Baby on the Block, the evenings got MUCH better!  :D

So, sorry - no advice, except to say just as has been said before: it WILL get better!  And just think...you'll never have to worry about weaning her off it!  :wink:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 00:02:02 am »
Yes, I also tried to offer a pacifier and my daughter didn't want it at all. We tried different brands and shapes and finally one fussy evening my dh had a success, she took it from him. I don't know how he achieved it but since then she occasionally would accept one. The trouble is, she wanted to go to sleep with it, as soon as she was falling asleep, the pacifier would fall out of her mouth and she would again wake up. It was a hell, worse that before paci. So, after 2 or 3 weeks of reinserting it every 45 minutes during the night, I decided to give it up.

From today's perspective, I am glad we didn't continue with it, things got easier after a while and we don't need to wean her from pacifier.