Author Topic: How can I get my baby to nap  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Flo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How can I get my baby to nap
« on: September 13, 2005, 20:59:19 pm »
Hi

Hope someone can help me, my DS is 9 weeks old. He has colic through the night and reflux after every feed (he is on Infant Gaviscon to help with this) and I can cope with these. My problem is he just won't sleep easily. During the night sch/pat seems to be helping but it's a real struggle, however the only way I can get him to nap during the day is in the sling - which is hard work on my back.

Any tips on how I can teach him to nap???
Thanks

Lisa

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 23:11:11 pm »
How about naps in the car seat? I've heard of some reflux babies being more comfortable that way as it's less horizontal.

When Josie's reflux was finally diagnosed and treated, the Zantac helped with the pain - it's an antacid - and after a couple days on it was FINALLY able to nap in peace. We did try to keep her upright for 20 minutes after each feed, and we dropped one end of her crib mattress so she could sleep "uphill."

Also, it's been my experience that reflux babies sleep better on their tummies. There's mixed feelings about tummy sleeping, though, so you may want to check with your dr., but FWIW, Natalie's been a tummy sleeper from Day One. Can't swaddle her arms that way, but she prefers it.

Good luck and keep us posted - post back if you have more questions! :)

Offline Flo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 09:07:11 am »
Thanks for the reply Deb,

Joe will go to sleep in to car seat - but only whilst the car is moving.  He hates the car seat in the house.  I could go out for a drive with him to get him to nap (and I have done this when desparate) but it's not really very practical.  I really want to teach him to nap on his own.

He is on an antacid for the reflux (Gaviscon) and it does help but does not eradicate the vomiting.  Unfortunately even keeping him upright won't stop the vomiting it will just stream out whilst he is sat in his chair.

Lisa

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 00:16:28 am »
Okay, keeping him upright is important.  You can raise the mattress of his crib or bassinet to a 30 degree angle. Just put blankets under/between the mattress and the crib.

Take a look at the Teaching Newborns to sleep Thread. It's in the top of this board, as an announcement. There's loads of information.

As well, do you have Tracy's new book? Valuable information in there about teaching sleep to young infants.

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline newbiemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:25:26 am »
Hi Flo, your problem sounds familiar to what I am experiencing. My son is nine weeks old too today and he refuses to take naps. What i now do is this: In the morning, after his bath, he becomes tired and starts yawning, so I put him in his crib where he naps for half an hour. If he cries, let him cry but i stay in teh room with him. I used to pick him up a lot more too, but now I don't anymore. I let him cry a little but he seems me and that comforts him.
In the afternoon, after his noon feed, I now put him to bed in his own room. He used to hate that (stilll does) and started bawling, but i persisted and kept him in his room, comforting and the first days reading while sitting with him. I slowly built that down and now, when he goes upstairs, he knows it's napping time. I don't make it very dark in the room so he knows it's still daytime.
If we go somewhere, he sleeps in his stroller like a charm. He loves to ride out and sleeps a lot in the car too.
After his dinner, he usually has his crying hour and I walk around with him - if he grows tired, i put him in his crib and let hem cry a bit. sometimes he falls asleep, sometimes he just wants to lie on an arm and sleep there (that's what i haven't been able to deal with yet).
We now usually spend an hour or so on his play mat in teh evening, and he gets his last bottle around 9 pm. We were fortunate though - he was always a very good night time sleeper and, if he finishes his bottle completely, he sleeps until 6 or 7 am. we do notice that he gets really tired around 8 but we want to teach him now to sleep through the night, and so we try to prolong his bedtime for as long as we can.
i know that the daytime naps are really difficult iwth such active babies, but if you persist, your baby will learn. It takes about a week. Good luck!

Offline Flo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 09:58:17 am »
thanks Jane I shall study the thread on Teaching Newborns to Sleep.  DS's mattres is raised but I'm not sure if it's 30 degrees, I shall check.

Newbiemom, you're braver than me - I just can't let him cry for long and that's probably why he has never had a nap in his cot.  My problem is with trying to implement anything is how exhausted I already am and it's just easy to get him to sleep in his sling without a struggle - at least I can rest then.

Lisa

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: my son
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 10:05:02 am »
Quote from: newbiemom
We now usually spend an hour or so on his play mat in teh evening, and he gets his last bottle around 9 pm. We were fortunate though - he was always a very good night time sleeper and, if he finishes his bottle completely, he sleeps until 6 or 7 am. we do notice that he gets really tired around 8 but we want to teach him now to sleep through the night, and so we try to prolong his bedtime for as long as we can.
i know that the daytime naps are really difficult iwth such active babies, but if you persist, your baby will learn. It takes about a week. Good luck!

Hi Newbiemom! Sounds like you have a system worked out. Don't forget, though, that your DS will have a growth spurt in a couple weeks (3-month growth spurt, give or take a week or two either direction), so your routine will change for a while.

Also, you can also try putting him to bed at 8 when he gets tired and doing a dream feed around 10:30PM; that way he'll be sleeping through - you basically feed him in his sleep, it's so sweet! :) - AND you'd be putting him to bed when his tired cues tell you he's ready for it - win-win! And odds are that the earlier bedtim won't change the AM wake time; heck, nothing I do around here seems to change the 5:30AM waking here! :? :)