Author Topic: Similac Almentium  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Mom2Ben

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Similac Almentium
« on: September 13, 2005, 16:13:00 pm »
Does anyone use this, and if so, has it helped?

DS was on Similac Advance, and currently Isomil for gas and fussiness.   The soy does not seem to be helping, so I am thinking of switching.   Wondered if you ladies had any advice?

Thanks,
Carin
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
Similac Almentium
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 16:24:56 pm »
My ds was on Similac Alimentum for 15 months, as he had MSPI.

We went through the same process as you, first Similac Advanced, then Isomil Advanced, and ended up on the Alimentum.

It worked WONDERS for him.  We also found out at about the same time that he had reflux, and he was put on Zantac as well. 

I don't know where you are, but it's about $25 a can where I am, and that can didn't last very long, so it's a very expensive proposition.  But in my house, it was WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

You say your lo is fussy and gassy - have you tried the Mylecon drops?  Those went in every bottle we gave ds.  The medication passes right through the system, so there are no side effects.

I'd also check with your ped before switching - they may be able to test for milk or soy protein allergies.

HTH!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Jamasco

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Similac Almentium
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 16:46:34 pm »
MY dd was on Alimentum for the first 3 months of her life because she was diagnosed with acid reflux and she had colic.  Quite expensive but well worth the money.  It is very thin and easily digestable so i would definitely check with a doctor before switching.

We have since switched to Similac advanced and she is doing well on it but her reflux is now gone.

Good luck.
Janis

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Similac Almentium
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 16:56:02 pm »
My DS was on Alimentum for the first 7 mos since we suspected MSPI and he had horrible reflux, and we were willing to try anything.  It is $$ (though not as bad as Neocate), but sooo worth trying if it may help.  Just a warning, it STINKS like fish food and doesn't taste anything like regular formula.  Your little one's poops will also look a little bit different.  If the Alim. helps, then you know that your LO has some sensitivity to milk/soy.  If you make the switch to Alim, also switch to a soy-free cereal like Beechnut.

I hope it helps!
Sheila
ng

Offline Mom2Ben

• Showing Appreciation 0
Similac Almentium
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 19:07:05 pm »
Thanks Ladies.   My doc wants us to give our soy a few more days with a bit more water?    I don't know.  My intuition tells me we should just switch now.
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline Tonya

Similac Almentium
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 00:58:56 am »
Additional water than what is in the formula?

I'd disagree with that - infants don't need any additional water than what is already in their formula until after 6 months, and even then, some ped's disagree.

If you water their formula down, then they are getting less of the nutrients they need. 

What is the thinking behind your ped's suggestion?  Sorry, just not getting it.
Tonya

Offline Mom2Ben

• Showing Appreciation 0
Similac Almentium
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 03:14:45 am »
Thanks Tonya.   I think  because of Ben's constipation, that he thought a little bit of extra water would help with that, plus make the powder a bit easier on his tummy.  I thought it was stange as well.

I have an appointment on Friday, I will chat with him face to face and then make a decision I guess.
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline Jamasco

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Similac Almentium
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 13:27:18 pm »
That is ironic you bring the water thing up.  My father originally told me to give my dd water in addition to the formula but our ped said there is no need to supplement water especially on Alimentum because it is so watered down to begin with.  I would definitely check to see the thinking behind the water.
Janis

Offline Mom2Ben

• Showing Appreciation 0
Similac Almentium
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 20:00:02 pm »
Just to clarify, its the soy that is  being watered down, not the Almentium.   Its just one ounce of water more.
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline Tonya

Similac Almentium
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 20:12:17 pm »
For every bottle, or just one extra bottle a day, or what?
Every bottle, I personally simply would not do that.  (but that's me)

There was a case in the news recently where an infant died because the mom was watering down the formula to save money, and the infant wasn't receiving enough nutrition.  Do I know how much she watered it down? No.  Would I trust a pediatrician if I felt comfortable with the other advice they had given me?  Probably.  Especially if it's only an extra ounce or two of water per day.

Not trying to be an alarmist AT ALL, but I would rather err on the side of giving this advice then agreeing with watering down formula.

Please let us know!
Tonya