Author Topic: Morning nap perfect, Afternoon nap short  (Read 1136 times)

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Morning nap perfect, Afternoon nap short
« on: September 14, 2005, 00:50:16 am »
Hello,

I've been trying to get my almost 7 month old to take a longer 2nd nap.  But in the last two weeks have only managed it twice :x  :(  :? . 

I read a post from Matthew's mommy about dropping the catnap and I've been keeping her morning nap at 9am regardless of wake up (and she usually starts playing in her crib at 6am and I turn on her lights at 6:30am earliest).  Also I've increased her A time a lot over the last 2 weeks fairly successfully.  I now put her down for afternoon nap at 1:15pm earliest regardless of nap 1 length.  She sleeps for 45 mins.  If I do pu/pd or pt/sh she stops crying but doesn't go back to sleep, she just fusses for 1/2 an hour.  And then she's super cranky from about 3pm on.  I haven't been able to get a catnap out of her for a long time so for the last week I've given up and we just go for a stroll around 4:30pm and then she gets a second energy spurt after her dinner and lasts till 6:20pm.  Here's our routine.  Any suggestions?

6:30 turn lights on in her room (she's already awake and playing by herself since 6am)
7:00 bottle
8:00 breakfast (rice cereal and 1 veg or fruit)
9:00 nap 1 (usually a very good 1.5 hrs)
11:00 bottle
12:30 lunch (rice ceral and 2 fruit or veg)
1:30  nap 2 (settles easy for a good 45 mins and then won't sleep longer)
2:45 bottle
5:15 dinner (oats and 1 fruit or veg)
5:30 bottle
6:20 bed
8:15 df
Since dropped catnap she sleeps without my help till at least 5am, usually 6am.  This is a huge improvement cause I used to have to go in at least 3 times a night.

Any help or advice?  Thanks.  Tarri

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Morning nap perfect, Afternoon nap short
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:42:19 am »
It looks like a fine routine to me.  It's funny though at this age they are really finicky.  Play around with that afternoon nap by exploring different times.  Try earlier to see if you're missing any sleep signs.  Or try later to see if she'd be really tired and sleep longer.  My lo is 8 months old and his afternoon nap changes quite frequently.  His afternoon nap may happen at 12:30 or as late as 2:00.  It really depends on his mood, the weather and what we're doing.  Honestly - it's a rollercoaster but you just roll with it.  Just keep it on EASY.  You know if your lo is really tired after that 2nd nap you could still give the catnap. Nothing wrong with that and then she might go to bed abit later  - say 7:30.  This may be better if you have a husband who wants to see her more after work.  Otherwise I wouldnt worry too much.