Author Topic: 8 month old naps  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Kimmachella

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:23:23 am »
My 8 month old daughter sleeps great through the night.  About 12 hours.  She still takes 3 naps a day.  She usually wakes up between 7-8 am.  Has breakfast, activity, and goes back down for nap within an hour and 15 minutes after waking.  She then sleeps for 1 1/2 -3 hours.  Wakes for lunch (or a bottle depending on what time of morning it is), has activity, and then naps again usually no longer than 1 hour 15 minutes from waketime.  Takes another nap 1 1/2 to 3 hours.  Wakes mid afternoon for bottle.  Activity and then back to napping again.  Usually wakes up between 5-6 pm for dinner.  And then back to bed for the night no later than 7:30 pm.  Is this normal for an 8 month old?  Should I extend her waking time during day to get to 2 naps instead of 3?  She always seems so ready for a nap every time.  I read about babies that are 6 months old who are down to 2 naps a day and I just wonder if everything's okay.  Am I doing something wrong?  I've tried giving her just a bottle when she wakes in the morning, but she's back to sleep in an hour.  Am I supposed to be keeping her up after the bottle and then give her breakfast without a nap?  I've always been a little confused about that since I read the book.  Please help. Thanks.

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
8 month old naps
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:35:59 am »
Hi there,

It sounds really great to have her sleeping alot.  Perhaps she needs a lot of rest.  However the EASY at 8 months sort of goes like:

Eat - breast or bottle (usually can drink pretty fast)
Activity (about an hour)
Eat - breakfast (solid food)
Activity (shorter)
Sleep (First Nap)

Eat - breast/bottle
Activity
Eat (lunch)
Activity
Nap

Etc.

Usually, at this age they are down to 2 naps but they are a bit longer.  For example my 8 month sleeps 1 hour in the morning but 2-3 hours in the afternoon.  Hope this clears up some confusion.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
8 month old naps
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:57:50 am »
I say it's great!!!! If she wants to sleep that much and she's happy and alert when awake, let her. As long as you aren't feeding to sleep, etc. and it sounds as though you aren't. She'll let you know when she needs to drop a nap. Lucky baby, lucky mummy...enjoy!  :lol:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008