Author Topic: Could my supply be decreasing?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline rachel5576

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 14, 2005, 02:57:30 am »
HI,

My nine month old boy has been a very fast eater 5- 10 mins since the day he was born 15 at the most and rarely.  he has also gone 3 to 4 hours between feedings day and night.  The last fews weeks he just doesnt want to quit even after 40 mins or more. He gets three solid meals a day and eats well.  Could my supply be dropping, growth spurt maybe. I just dont know what to do. I guess ive been spoiled by the fast feeds and now it seems to take forever. Should i just cut him off or let him nurse to his hearts content.  i also have a 2 year old to look after so these longer feeds arent making life any easier.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.  Thanks.
rachel

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Could my supply be decreasing?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:35:56 am »
Hello, it could be a growth spurt as I think they do have one around 9 months of age.  Is he really eating for that long or comfort nursing?   If he is truely eating then I would let him, but if he is just comfort nursing you could limit his feed time.  Could be that he is having a little separation anxiety too so he is just happy with you right there?  HTH.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

annamum

Could my supply be decreasing?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:30:52 am »
I am thinking there might be something going on in his life right now. Have you had any changes in your life that might have affected him, like going back to work, moving from one place to another, somebody visiting... Sometimes babies want to nurse that long for comfort, that would be my guess.
I would also think about separation anxiety here, he may be sucking for so long as he desperately needs to be near you and he knows this is a way to keep you near  :) . Have you been busier recently and having less time for him?
Also, what crossed my mind is that he might be teething and nursing is making him more comfortable. My Anna did that when she was older.

If this is too much for you, you may start putting some limits on how long you let him nurse. I think at this age you may slowly start to implement some rules for him to follow and expect him to comply to your requests. Good way to cut down time at the breast could be offering distraction, something he likes to see or do with you.
I don't know when you are planning to wean if at all any time soon but your strategy greatly depends on your plans. If you plan on weaning around one year, you can be more upbeat about limiting time at the breast, I think.
If you plan to nurse longer, then, a more careful approach would be in store. I am saying this, as very often babies can go on nursing strike because we raise our voice or scream when they bit a nipple and the baby is hurt and rejects breast. This is a difficult part and you are the best judge of how to proceed with that. 

My advice is to look for possible reasons for this in your family life, what is affecting him, making him uncomfortable.

Sorry but no great advice here for you  :cry: .