Author Topic: From GREAT routine to NO routine--HELP!  (Read 1394 times)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
From GREAT routine to NO routine--HELP!
« on: September 14, 2005, 14:20:37 pm »
Hello---

My Spirited 3.5 month DS was on a GREAT 3 hour EASY when he began taking only 45 minute naps.  I read in Tracy's book that this may be a sign of his readiness to transition to the 4 hour routine.  So I tried keeping him up a bit longer and extending his feed time.  The result: an ALMOST 4 hour EASY.  He was just about 1/2 short on both of these.  It seemed to work great for a couple of days...on a few naps I would pat/shh him through the 45 minute mark if I saw him stir.  This NO LONGER works...all of his naps are 45 minutes and I'm putting my EXHAUsted DS down all day long and have NO routine!  PLEASE HELP ME GET A ROUTINE BACK!  I don't even know where to begin!!

Thanks so much!
Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 03:58:45 am »
hi, can you post his typical day/routine?
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 16:22:49 pm »
Hello-

His routine typically looks something like this:

Wake 6:30AM (Can't seem to get him to sleep any longer!)
Eat 7AM
Activity
Sleep 8:30 (Usually for about an hour or Hour and 15)

Eat 10AM
Activity
Sleep 11:30 (Usually for an hour)

Eat 1
Activity
Sleep 3:00 (Usually for 1.5-2 hours)

Eat 4:00 or 5:00
Activity
Sleep Usually a catnap for 45 minutes at 5-5:30 ish

Eat 6 or 6:30
BATH
Bed by 7:30
DF 10 or 11

This WAS our routine.  When he started taking ONLY 45 minute naps...I tried to transition him to 4 hour easy.  It worked for like 2 days.  Now he CANNOT sleep more than 45 minutes at a time and so there's not much of a routine and I can't tell if he's tired or hungry!!

Thanks for your help!
Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 20:55:57 pm »
Beth-
4 months was the wackiest time for us and I've heard others say the same.  Is it possible you've got a growth spurt going on, teething, mobility issues - seems like all of that can interefere with sleep.  I would just stick as close to the routine if you can - try to extend naps if you can (pat/shh always worked best for me there).  Not a whole lot of advice, but I can say that I've been there and it did get better!
-Erin

Offline Travis' Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 02:05:49 am »
I would keep trying to get him on a 4 hour routine.  It needs to be done  and since you've gotten your feet wet, keep at it.  2 hours feed/awake and 2 hour naps.
To get past the 45 minute naps, try going into the room after 35 minutes of sleep and jostling him so he is semi conscious and then leaving the room.  This will break him of the habit he has developed for sleep.  It should only take 3-4 days of this at each nap to break the 45 minute naps.  I just helped another Mom do this for her 7 month old! 
It teaches them to put themselves back to sleep before the FULLY wake up from the nap.
Good luck and keep up the great work!  My DS is 7 months old now and sleeps great at night and during the day.
Keep us posted! :D
Sheri - Mom to an angel baby

[url=http://lilypie.com]Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80<