Author Topic: 40 minute naps PLEASE HELP!  (Read 1098 times)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
40 minute naps PLEASE HELP!
« on: September 14, 2005, 14:14:18 pm »
Hello--I have read every post on this issue...but just don't even know where to begin!  My almost 4 month Spirited DS was on a fantastic 3 hour EASY routine when suddenly he began 40-45 minute naps.  I read in Tracy's book that this may be a sign that he is ready for 4 hour EASY (this all began about 1.5 weeks ago....so I slowly tested him out to see if he could stay up for 2 hours and go 4 hours w/out eating...result: he could ALMOST do both (only like 1/2 hour off) so we transitioned to the ALMOST 4 hour EASY...worked great for 2 days (I used pat/sh in the crib on a couple of naps to get him past the 45 minute mark)---then ALL naps went to 45 minutes and have never gone back--not even with pat/shh.  WHAT DO I DO?? My DS is EXHAUSTED ALL DAY LONG and I'm SO frustrated!  We haven't done PU/PD yet because I don't feel my DH would see it through.  Can extending naps be done w/out doing the PU/PD method...or am I going to have to recruit someone to help me see it though?  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much-
Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
40 minute naps PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 00:21:11 am »
Here's some strategies that are different from pu.pd.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/teaching-3-5mos-to-overcome-the-45min-naps-vt39769.html?start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I used to go in very quietly at the 30 min. mark, and place my hands on the limbs.  There's a description on how to do this in the thread above.

Also, swaddling helps with the jolts as well.

Hang in there.. it takes a few weeks to completely get passed the 45 min. napping monster.. but it's doable and will happen!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004