Author Topic: which way to go?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline janeya

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 19, 2005, 06:37:56 am »
Hi,

I have just discovered these wonderful books and have used PU/PD to get my 4 month old son out of needing to be rocked to sleep. I want to implement a routine based on those in the book but I am unsure where to start. While he has not really been on a routine, he is on pretty strict 3 hourly feeds but the sleep thing has never been routine. So, my question is, do I just jump into setting up a routine as if he has never been on one or do I use the way to change from a 3-4 hour routine as outlined in the book even though he will be learning the routine bit from scratch?

Any advice is gratefully received!

Jane

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

which way to go?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 07:16:34 am »
Hi and welcome!  OK, just looking at the book now and there is a plan for starting EASY at 4mths on page 39-46, she goes into quite a bit of depth on how to go about it.  Have a read of that and if you have any specific questions, post back and we'll see how we can help you. Happy to help. :D

Offline janeya

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 07:37:24 am »
I have read it and just wasn't sure whether it applied as he is already on a 3 hour eating plan but with nothing else routine-wise do I do this as it says for a baby that has never been on a routine - does eating every 3 hours constitute a part of a routine? Or do i try the 'changing your four moths olds day to solve sleep problems' on pages 228-236 so that he gets used to eating 4 hourly?

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I guess the main question is... does the fact that he already eats routinely at 3 hours constitute a routine enough to so the 228-236 suggestion or do I just start as if there has been no routine on the pages suggested?

Thanks

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

which way to go?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 07:59:20 am »
Well I think your 3hrly eating is a good start but you're probably ready to do the switch to the 4hr routine as in the PU/PD section.  Sounds like you're doing great and you'll probably need to do a combination of things to get yourself sorted.

I think though I'd probably work on the rocking to sleep first and you will need to use pu/pd to do this, also check out the Props forum for some ideas - you'll probably find the 3hr schedule will move to a 4hrly on it's own once you crack the association of needing to be rocked to sleep.

Defintely start with pg 228 and see how you go.

HTH