Author Topic: Gas causing night cries - what do I do?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Gas causing night cries - what do I do?
« on: September 14, 2005, 14:38:12 pm »
My 4 month old cries out a couple of times during the night at different times each night, and when I go into his room, I can hear him pass gas, and then he's quiet again. Is there anything I can do to help him with the gas and is that normal? Or is he having a bad dream which causes him to pass gas? (He's also a refluxer)

Thank you!
Julie

Offline Immie's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 14:57:08 pm »
Hi Julie

My dd had exactly the same problem when she was around this age - every night she would be sleeping peacefully until about 4am when she would wake up with the discomfort -she actually struggled for about half an hour with gas each night at this time and then went back to sleep!  I tried every position I could when breast feeding her also a bit of massage but nothing seemed to help that much.  I have asked around my pool of firends with babies and it seems some of the little darlings are just like this (comes from all the air swallowed during the day which then just builds up when they are sleeping lying down).  Also my Heath Visitor told me that some babies just take that little bit longer to get their digestive system working efficently. I guess what I am basically saying is that so long as your little one is healthy, in my experience I don't really think there is that much you can that actually works.

On the up side I found that it really DOES just suddenly stop.  I know it can seem difficult to believe right now (I know I didn't when people said it to me   :) ) but around about 6 months I realised that she was passing gas without struggling or crying out - her digestive system just got into gear.

I hope this helps (even if it doesn't give you something that you can do right now!)

Good luck - I hope it starts to lessen soon (and the reflux)

Lisa

Offline albertasweetpea

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 15:32:39 pm »
Hi Julie. Do you dream feed? If so, perhaps you could slip in a dose of Ovol at that time? We have Ovol in Canada but I'm not sure where you are or what the brand name would be??
I suppose even if you don't dream feed, you could just give DS a dose before you went to bed at night. Might be worth a try anyways!
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 16:18:33 pm »
Thank you for the encouraging words and advice! Yes, I do dreamfeed and will try some gas drops (I think we have Mylicon which might be the same as Oval).  It's nice to know that others have the same experience!

Thank you!
Julie

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 16:34:31 pm »
My son is having the same problem - wakes sometime between 5-6 and usually with gas - and then won't go back to sleep. Sometimes he has a poop too.
I have thought about trying mylicon, but hestiate to give him anything. Does anyone know of a "natural" version of mylicon that I could try?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 16:53:56 pm »
Jennifer,
You can order gripe water online or get it in a few stores in US.  It is used to treat gas, digestive trouble, and colic.  We used Baby Bliss, which has all natural ingredients.  Just make sure to get on that is alcohol and sugar-free   :)
Sheila
ng

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 18:55:59 pm »
Our dd had a lot of gas too... after bath, we did a lot of gentle bicycle legs to get rid of what we could before putting her down for the night.  I also put Mylicon (brand name) or simethicone (active ingredient, many store brands have the same thing just not as pricey) in her last bottle of the day for almost a month, the nights that I skipped were not as comfortable for her, so I kept doing it almost every evening.  Around 5 1/2  months, I stopped because she seemed to be able to pass gas without as much effort, and I haven't used it since!
Good luck,
Trish