Author Topic: Dream feed  (Read 1299 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dream feed
« on: September 14, 2005, 15:17:37 pm »
I am confused as to the next step in eliminating the dreamfeed.

My son is 8 months old and I have moved the dream feed up from 10:45pm to 8:15 pm by 15 minute intervals every 3-4 days. Here is my problem. The fourth feed of the day is usually around 6:30. Then he goes to bed around 7:00-7:30. So I wake him shortly after for the 5th feed (the dream feed). How do I keep moving it up to 8:00 and 7:30 etc? Wont I be waking him shortly after I put him to bed? And also, when I get to 7:30 isnt that getting pretty close to when I give him the 4th feed?

As it is now, he spends the same amount of time drinking during dream feed as his regular feeds so I know that he still is taking in the milk.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Dream feed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 19:58:34 pm »
Mmmm.. you've stumped me  :?  :? . If you are sure he needs the df, perhaps try cluster feeding at the end of the day?

Not much advice to give - just noticed your post hasn't been answered. Someone who has more of a clue please help!  :)  :oops:

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline KCW

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dream feed
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 23:25:45 pm »
Hi, if I were you I'd try substituting the ounces of solid for ounces of liquid trick.  Over a week or so replace however many ounces he's taking at his df with solid foods throughout the day, and reduce the amount of food he's taking at the df (ounces by bottle or minutes by breast).  Tracy's second book gives a formula for how to do it, and I'd love to give the page number, but the book is in the car and my dh is at the store now!  The issue is to give him all the calories he needs in the daytime now that his body is mature enough to do it...  Hope all works out well!

:D
Kaycee

Mom to
Very Textbook Elizabeth, born 7-15-2003
Very likely Textbook Renae, born 8-2-2005

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Dream feed
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 23:56:46 pm »
Velvet,
The way I did it was similar to what KCW recommends.  I removed an ounce, or a half ounce of formula from the df every time I moved the time up, and added those oz to the next day's feed.  We weren't on solids back then yet.  So by the time we were at 8:30pm she was down to an oz already and one night I just bit the bullet and did not give it to her. 

If you're still giving her the same amount at the earlier time as you did at the later time, I would recommend subtracting half oz to 1 oz at a time, adding it to the next morning's feed, and to the other feeds, etc.  You should be able to eliminate the df within a week to 10 days.

Hope this helps.
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dream feed
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 22:06:44 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I think I get this and I feel confident that we can do it fairly quickly.   I already started by feeding him a little juice so this may help.