Author Topic: Getting signed out and needing to sign back in  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
Getting signed out and needing to sign back in
« on: September 14, 2005, 15:45:08 pm »
Somebody please help... sometimes while browsing the forum or posting a reply or going to a different area in the forum, I get the sign in window. I always sign in when I initially visit the website.

The most annoying part is when I finish a long post and then click submit... only to have the computer to ask me to log in. I then lose the post and can't get back to it!!! UGH.

Also, when this happens, I can't use the "View all posts since last visit" because it tells me there is nothing to view because I just signed in and off 1 minute ago! Very annoying too.

I would appreciate any advice. I don't know if it is my computer... this doesn't seem to happen to me on other sites with sign-ins.

Thanks very much!
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 218
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 16:33:23 pm »
Can you please try deleting your cookies and temporary internet files, 99% of all login problems are cookie related.  If that doesn't work, please come back and let us know.

HTH :D
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline andyg2

• Administrator
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 332
  • Escaped the west
    • Dumaguete Info
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 21:07:03 pm »
Also,
If it mainly happens on long posts your "session" could be timing out.
Your log-in lasts for 1 hour between page views (if you don't request a web page from the site in an hour, the next page you request will be the log in page because you'll be logged out).

There are a couple of ways to combat this:
1. Enable cookies and especially "always allow session cookies" in your security options (for Internet Explorer: click [tools (menu)], [internet options (menu)], [privacy (tab)], [advanced (button)].
Then select override automatic cookie handling, check accept first party cookies and always allow session cookies.

2. Tick the "remember me" checkbox when logging in

3. Use your back button (before logging in), on most machines, all of your text will still be there and you can copy it, then log in then paste it back into the site when you've logged in.

4. Copy any really long posts before pressing submit then paste them back into the site if you get logged out! - I'm doing this right now even though this site has never logged me out!

Hope this helps,
Andy
Andy Gee - Forum Administrator