Author Topic: sleeping through the night  (Read 1318 times)

Offline robynrice

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 14, 2005, 18:29:52 pm »
Hello.  I have been using the EASY routine with my three month old son for about two weeks.  My first goal was to teach him to fall asleep without nursing him to sleep.  We have a smooth sleep routine now and he usually goes down very easily.  Now I am trying to teach  him to sleep through the night.

In the first week of EASY, he was waking at 2:30/3:00 every night.  I would give him a pacifier and he would go back to sleep.  Then he started refusing the pacifier and I nursed him and he would eat well for a good 20-30 minutes (a growth spurt?).  Now it has been over a week and there has been little improvement.  Last night I gave him the pacifier at 1:30 and then he woke at 3:30 to nurse.  He gulped down both sides. 

So I think that he might not be getting enough calories during the day. I feed him every three hours (7, 10, 1, 4, and 7) and I give him a dream feed at 11.  Should I be cluster feeding? When he wakes and won't take the pacifier should I feed him or try to get him back to sleep another way (besides the pacifier)?  also, he sometimes gets distracted while he is eating and wants to look around.  I have tried blocking his field of vision with my hand and covering him with a blanket, but it hasn't really helped.  Any suggestions? I should mention that he is very large. At his 2 month check up he weighed 15lbs and I am not sure what he weighs now.  17llbs?

Thank you!

Offline frasersmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
sleeping through the night
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 19:47:44 pm »
Hi haven't got much advice for you except to say your baby and mine sound like twins. maybe look at my question Bottle feeding and night waking. I tried weaning my baby off BF in the hope he'd get his quota from bottles and sleep but nothing has improved so far. if you do suss it can you tell me too?!! :)

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 20:01:41 pm »
Hi there! Congrats with sleep training!!

You can try doing a cluster feed before bed, maybe between 4 and 7, that might help :)

It sounds though that your lo still needs the nourishment at night (at least one feeding). If you cluster feed and dream feed, and he's still waking, assume that he still needs the nourishment and it's not a night waking problem. This can continue up to 6 months. After that they really don't need the extra nourishment.

Hope he starts sleeping the whole way through soon!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 21:44:07 pm »
just wanted to add that 3 months is a normal time for a growth spurt, so you may just be in the midst of that as well.  tank that baby up during the day and hopefully he'll have the calories he needs soon.   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy