Author Topic: LOW SUPPLY - Suggestions PLEASE!  (Read 1700 times)

Offline CarolinaGirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
LOW SUPPLY - Suggestions PLEASE!
« on: September 14, 2005, 18:53:06 pm »
My 5 mo. old has been EBF. 2 wks ago he started waking during the night several times (was sleeping 8-10 hrs straight). He frequently got fussy at the breast and would latch on and off repeatedly. I thought it was a growth spurt so I started nursing every 2 hours or every 3 hours and pumping in between. I got only drops of milk. He became so fussy I gave him formula after nursing in the evenings.  I also tried a spoon or two of cereal thinking he needed more calories but he wasn't too interested so I stopped.

To complicate things, I returned to work PT last Thurs. The nanny says he is eating 6 oz of milk every 3-4 hours while I am away.  I spent four days over the weekend nursing every 2-3 hours and I am totally exhausted! My brain obviously didn't tell my breasts to make more milk. I am out of breast milk. I have been pumping (Medela double pump in style) every 2 hours. I only get 1 oz each breast!! I used to get 3-5 oz each breast!

I started taking Progestin Only Birth Control Pills 3 months ago which are not "supposed" to affect your milk supply. I stopped them yesterday after I had to go out and buy formula to send to the nanny today!!  Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do? I have read all the posts and Kelly Mom.com and I started Fenugreek today. How long does it take to work and will it really increase my supply? I am definitely on a downhill spiral and soon he will be on formula alone if I don't do something quickly!!  Please give me any suggestions!!  Thanks in advance.

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 19:15:20 pm »
Hang in there... There is another thread about low supply so maybe you can get some suggestions there.

My cousin increased her supply by taking Domperidon (Motilium). I was also taking it for my milk supply when DD was first born. I don't know if doctors will prescribe it elsewhere but it is prescribed here in Canada. Also, visit http://www.drjacknewman.com/.

Good luck!
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 19:16:09 pm »
It sounds like you're doing everything right.  It might just take a few days to kick in - and if the BC pill was affecting your supply, you might have to wait to get it out of your system. Fenugreek usually starts to work in about 3 days, if it's going to.  But it also works better if you combine it with Blessed Thistle, so you might want to try that too (I think you're supposed to start smelling like curry or something if you're taking enough Fenugreek...). Doing the intensive nursing and pumping like you are will help - can you keep it up a few more days?  If none of this really works, there's always the option of Domperidone to increase supply. Is he still waking at night to feed?  Nursing overnight really seems to help supply - so if he's not waking, you might try a dreamfeed sort of thing.

But above all, if you can, try to relax a bit!  Stress and worry will just make things worse.  There are still lots of options - hang in there!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline jamie3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 03:15:49 am »
We just went through the EXACT same thing. You can find my post a few down from this one I think.
I started taking 3 capsules of Fenugreek 3 times a day and drinking Mother's Milk Tea 5 times a day. Along with that I nursed on demand for as long as it took. It was a good 5 days before we got through it. I think it was due to AF coming. I noticed it last month too, but not as severe. Although in good news, we DID bounce back. Just yesterday I started feeling my letdown come back and ds seems completely satisfied with feeding every 3-4 hours again. Best of luck, Jamie
Married May 2000
Jacob - Born August 28, 1999
Toby - Born March 4, 2002
Alex - Born March 30, 2005

Offline CarolinaGirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 16:00:38 pm »
Thank you for the advice ladies! I don't know how I missed your post Jamie. I am glad things are better for you.

- I started Fenugreek yesterday 2 caps 3 times a day, I will increase to 3 caps and will add Blessed Thistle. The LC said I will smell like maple syrup when I the Fenugreek is working but I read lots of posts that said Fenugreek did not work for them.
- I have been feeding non-stop (like every hour) when at home and pumping every 1 1/2-2 hours while at work (I still get only an ounce per breast each time I pump). I pumped 4 times yesterday and had 8 ounces, only enough for about one feeding!!!
- I dream feed him at 11 PM but haven't been waking him during the night. Even when he was waking at night, I didn't want to start a bad habit by feeding him but maybe I should get up and pump at night???
- What is AF? I think it is your period but just wanted to clarify.
- I plan to take a Babymoon this weekend Friday-Monday (my days off) and hope things will be better by worktime Tuesday.
- I hate that he is taking formula now and hope that hasn't really messed things up. If I am home feeding him "constantly" the next 4 days, should I still supplement if he is really fussy or try hard not to? It is so confusing with him on food and formula because now I don't know when he fusses if he is hungry or just tired... Up until now, he has been on a great 3-3.5 hour EASY. He is only taking cereal/fruit for breakfast. Should I leave him on that or cut that out and just try to do breast milk?

I appreciate your advice!

Heather
Mommy to Logan (10 years) and Luke (5 months)

Offline CarolinaGirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 21:30:47 pm »
Update from one week ago:

I am taking Fenugreek for 4 days now and have noticed some increase in milk. I have been nursing every 2 hours for the past 3 days and have not supplemented with formula at all!  YIPPEE!  Now, I am just trying to start pumping enough milk for when I work Tuesday. At least things are getting better. How long do I take the Fenugreek? There is another post today about Fenugreek - I didn't know I would SMELL LIKE MAPLE SYRUP!!

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 08:28:48 am »
Well done!  I just wanted to say that how much you can pump is not necessarily an indication of your supply.  I didn't pump regularly then I tried again after a few months of not doing it, and couldn't pump anything really (didn't get let-down).  But I still had enough milk for dd.

However, in your situation I understand you need to pump, so knowing this is not much use!!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 23:36:55 pm »
Great news Heather!  As for how long to keep taking the Fenugreek, I'm honestly not sure.  I would imagine for a while...
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha