Author Topic: help! -  (Read 1196 times)

Offline jueboo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
help! -
« on: September 14, 2005, 19:40:30 pm »
Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me, my 3 week old is more or less working to the EASY system, on 3 hour cycle, however he will not go to sleep without a prop - either rocking or being held, I have tried the SHH tehnique and he just crys, when it has worked he wakes himself up as soon as he is in his cot.  I have also tried the cluster feeding/dream feed but am confused - example, I fed him at 6 pm and got him to take an extra ounce at 7.30, if I am to give him a dream feed at about 10.30 that is when his feed is due anyway ? He currently wakes at about 2 am then 6 am for more food - he is taking 4 ounces every time.

Hope you can help I am sure it is me confusing things !

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
help! -
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 21:42:29 pm »
hi there,

sounds like you're doing lots of things right... 3 weeks is a normal time for a growth spurt too, so that's probably throwing things off a bit.

for cluster feeding, i would aim for 6pm & 8pm, with the df at 10:30.  i know that's his normal feed time now but you are eventually aiming to get him to drop that 2am feeding and have that nice long stretch at that point.  2am & 6am is also normal right now too.

regarding only falling asleep with a prop.... to be gently blunt, he does it cause you taught him that.  course, he's only 3 weeks, so it'll be relatively easy to change that.  :wink:   you may want to have a look at the post about pat/shhh by theo's mom at the top of this board, which does a great job of describing how to do it. 

if you stay consistent, it will work, i promise.  (((((HUGS))))) and good luck.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline jueboo

• Showing Appreciation 2
help! -
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:01:27 pm »
thanks a lot, you have cleared up the feeding issue - i was getting myself very confused!!

with the sleep issue I know what your saying it is me that has allowed him to go to sleep with a prop, will try and turn it round!

thanks again

Offline jueboo

• Showing Appreciation 2
help! -
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 12:15:23 pm »
Hi again,

could you answer one more question - what amount of food should he take for the cluster feeds - I worry that I am feeding him too much ? and finally ( I promise) what kind of age will he drop the 2 am feed approx ?

thanks

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
help! -
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 19:20:50 pm »
i would try to make the cluster feeds the same size as a "normal" feed, and see what he will take.  the general rule of thumb our ped recommended was for the baby to eat 2-2.5 oz (60-80ml) for every pound in weight every 24 hours.  so if your baby weighs 10lbs, he would eat 20-25 oz in 24 hrs.  it's not a hard and fast rule; more like a general guideline. the bigger issue is to not force it.  if he's done, he's done.  the older he gets, the easier it will be for you to tell. 

as to when he will drop the 2am feed.... it depends.  both of mine started going about 5-6 hrs. straight at 6 weeks, 7-8 hours at a time around 9-10 weeks, and around 10 at 12-13 weeks.

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy