Author Topic: It's a phase right?!?  (Read 1399 times)

lil'monkey

It's a phase right?!?
« on: September 14, 2005, 20:45:17 pm »
Lately dd is not interested in her bottles.  She would take a few oz and then wants to play.  I've tried distractions, no distractions, feeding her while walking, milk in cup, and even letting her feed herself ( she can hold the bottle).  But she just won't finish the bottle.  I've even placed the bottle in front of her and she would take a sip every now and then.  She won't still for solids (has been refusing the spoon for mos now andnot eating enough on finger food).  Is it just a phase?  BTW, she is a cruiser, has 4 teeth already and I don't think that she is teething again.

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
It's a phase right?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 20:59:04 pm »
Hi Mimi

Can you give us some more info about your lo....how old is she, what kind of schedule is she on (how many feeds/how much) etc?

love
Marie

lil'monkey

It's a phase right?!?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 21:20:55 pm »
Hi Marie,

She's 10.5 mos and takes about 32 oz over 4.5 bottles.  She was on two naps (1.5hrs/each) but she has been shifting her naps around lately ( ready for one?  That's for another post.)  She goes to bed awake at 7 pm and sleeps till around 5 (where she cries and I can sometimes get her back to sleep) wakes around 6 am.  The first bottle is at 6:30 and she used to take 7/8 oz but today she just refused it.  She did took about 6 oz at 9 am.  So far today, it has been about 15 oz.

Offline Jakes_mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
It's a phase right?!?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 22:53:19 pm »
Hi Mimi,

not sure if you remember me from the oct-dec board, i have been so busy with work that i havent been on this board in weeks!! :oops:  :cry:

anyway, your question is the exact reason i am on here.  Jake is now only taking about 5-6oz on each bottle but only gets 3 bottles regularly.  he was getting 8oz each which was perfect.  he is not waking in the night and eats well with his solids.  cant wait to hear some helpful responses. 

thanks- Jenn

Offline newhampshiremummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
It's a phase right?!?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 23:13:02 pm »
Hi Mimi,
Is your lo eating solids?
I ask because she could be ready for a little less in each bottle, or fewer bottles of a larger quantity. Around 10 months we were on 3 6oz bottles a day, but it varied depending on how much solid food he ate. If he wasn't in the mood to eat a lot of solid food, I would make his before bed bottle 8 oz. But more often he wanted to eat "real" food and took less in his bottles. I didn't worry b/c I knew he was getting enough calories throughout his day.
I asked my ped about it and he said as long as he was getting between 16-24oz of milk a day plus maybe some more calcium in other ways- ex. yogurt.
Another idea- would your lo prefer liquid yogurt for one of her bottles?

Also another thought, is she healthy? I know some childhood illnesses cause throat irritation and she might not want her bottle for that reason?

Also, could you try a sippy cup instead? Maybe she is asserting her independce? Wanting to try drinking like a big gir
Valerie
mother to Calvin 7/24/04

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
It's a phase right?!?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 23:41:14 pm »
Wat Valerie has posted is exactly where they would expect your o to be in Australia.

here - anytime afetr 6 mo when on solids 3 x day  and ready, they only need 3 x 200ml (7 oz x 3 = 21 oz) minimum milk per day.  the goal would be at 9-10 mo to be having bottles at wake up (after solids) after the midday nap and then before bed (or after dinner solids).

her intake of milk is good, it is just frustrating because it is spread over 4.5 bottles.  if you offer 3-4 bottles she might take more at each. but i woudl not worry if she did not take more, i would still reduce the number of bottles.  she might also take more solids if she is not being offered milk at so many intervals in the day KWIM.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

lil'monkey

It's a phase right?!?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 00:49:58 am »
Thanks for the reply.  However, dd is on solids but she is not taking enough to consider it a meal ( ie.  just a couple of spoons each time) and she can eat finger food but again just not enough.  We were on 4 bottles of 7-8 oz about a month ago ( if the same amount of solids) but a couple of weeks ago, she wanted an extra bottle.  Now we are back to about 4 bottles but getting her to finish it is hard.  She just won't sit still for it.  Lately the only way i can get her to finish the rest is to let her play for 10-20 min and then continue.  I've tried to offer only 3 bottles for 2 days and she would do the same and her solids has not increased.  Maybe I should continue for a few more days?  What if she wakes in the middle of the night hungry?  Do I offer her the bottle?