Author Topic: how do you deal with nightwakings?  (Read 977 times)

Offline jekholm14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 14, 2005, 20:39:12 pm »
I'm in need of some advice, as well as curious to see how everyone else deals....
My DH has always been a problem sleeper.  Now that he's 5 months and solids are well established, I'm not sure feeding him in the middle of the night is the answer.  He's BF 4 times a day, plus a dream feed.
He always wakes now arund 2:30 and it takes him a long while to get settled.  I know he's not hungry, because all I need to do is rub his back and he settles...until I leave the room.
 He starts up again around 5:30, and I think he must be hungry at this time, so I feed him.  He never takes a full feed at this time.  Should I just be doing pu/pd until 7 (or until hre settles) at this time?
I know his wakings must be habitual, but I'm unsure on how to handle them. 
Also am I a prop for going in and rubbing his back?  Would pu/pd be better?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
how do you deal with nightwakings?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 00:22:34 am »
Does he wake up crying? or is it just whinging?
If he is just whinging, leave him to see if he can settle himself... this can take an hour or more sometimes (not fun I know to lie & listen, when you want to be asleep, but it does improve)

If you go to him when he is whinging, you are not encouraging him to learn to self settle. It is very normal for lo's to wake at night, & they need to learn to settle back to sleep on their own if you are going to get an undisturbed night.

If he is crying, I would give PU/PD a go at both the wakeups if you feel they are habitual.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05