Author Topic: Progressively longer awake time for nearly 11 mo old  (Read 7715 times)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Progressively longer awake time for nearly 11 mo old
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 20:22:09 pm »
Glad that helps.

Yes, are on 2.

Before today i would have said no, but she is sick so I let her sleep in and she woke at 8am (13hr night sleep)

nap 1 at 10.30 and still going - that is 3hrs!  I am not sure what this means or what i am going to do about nap 2 if any.  :?

Offline Keren

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 11:02:39 am »
We are at this stage too! Hi Michelle! We are back!

Josh will go around 3.5-4 hrs before the first nap (wakes around 6am) which is usually 10-11am. Then his next nap won't start until 4-4:15 hrs later! This is around 3-3:30pm but this nap is always 30mins in length so he still goes down ok at 7pm.

Do you think I should start moving him to one nap soon? He is starting to fight me in the afternoon but will still go to sleep for that nap. It is just that he doesn't show me any tired signs before either nap now and sometimes during wind down I may get a yawn or a rub of the eyes.

I really wish he could say to me in English "mummy I would like to go to one nap now" instead of crying when I don't know if he is tired or not!!!  :lol:

I have gone back to driving for the last nap some days.

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 13:24:14 pm »
Keren and Michelle,
we are following you too  :lol:  but maybe a week behind, think am going to cut morning by another 5 minutes as it worked so well the last time but she still  needs to go down more or less 2 hours after wake up. Keren congratulations on your pregnancy. And yes I soo sometimes wish dd could talk and tell me what she needs  :wink:
Fiona

Offline dixiedutch

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 20:16:20 pm »
Oh how grateful I am to know that there are others in the same boat!

My lo can go 3 hours in the am, then 3.5 hours to 2nd nap....bedtime is usually at 8 when she takes a 2nd nap and at 7 when she doesn't....

Caroline

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 21:09:43 pm »
Karen and Fiona - welcome back
Caroline - welcome

Fiona, go w/ what works - she doesn't sound ready for 1 yet.

Karen, yesterday we ended up w/ nap 1 = 3.5 hr and nap 2 = 30min (she work herself from both).  Sooo funny that Josh is doing the same thing. 

Do you think I should start moving him to one nap soon? He is starting to fight me in the afternoon but will still go to sleep for that nap.    I am guessing here, but i would wait until he refuses that catnap completely.  Then try to push the nap to 11.30-12.00.  That is what i am going to do.

Funny, thing is I didn't want her to move to 1 nap...but she woke up late and then slept past the 2hr mark for am nap - i knew i had no choice.  I guess she is telling me she is ready!  Today she woke at 8am (again) and went down at 11.30am and is still sleeping...2.5hr and counting  :lol:  :D.  I hope this continues.

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 19:53:08 pm »
Any idea how quickly those awake times can change?  Because here we are and my DS has extended his AM wake time to 3.25, and afternoon to 3.75.  This has literally happended within two days.

He will be 11 months this Friday 9/23.  He is now taking several steps at a time now (and then tumbling of course).  Would this result in more awake times, just being more mobile, etc?

Offline Keren

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 10:38:19 am »
CW

I can remember when Josh went from 3hrs awake to 3.5hrs. I happened overnight. One day I went to put him down at the 3hr mark and he cried and cried for half an hour with my trying to soothe him the whole time. It happened the next day too. So I thought blow it, if you are going to cry for half an hour you might as well stay up the extra half an hour. He was fine and went down really well after that. So I know when he cries like that again that I am to extend his awake time. :lol:

HTH
Keren

lil'monkey

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 16:45:22 pm »
CW - dd's awake time can change overnight as well.  It never used to be this way but I think that as she gets older, the times can jump by 30-1 hr.  I've noticed as well the awake times depends greatly on how well she slept the night before.

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 18:18:07 pm »
Well, let me ask more along those lines...

Ok, so DS was up at about 7am this morning (a nice 12 hrs!, though I think I heard him moaning at 3am for a few mins)....so my DH put the boy down for his nap at 10am.  He babbled and moaned for 15 mins.  So does that mean his awake time is 3 hours and 15 mins? 

Also, there have been times when we've put him down and he babbles up to 30 mins, then naps for only 50-60 mins.  I tend to think that means we should have put him down later.  What do you think?  If you put them down too early does that mean a shorter nap?

Thanks again!

lil'monkey

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 19:33:43 pm »
A sleep psychologist once told me that it is normal to take up to 20 min to fall asleep (for babies and adults).  So I'm guessing that 15 min is normal.  DD sometimes take upto 15 to finally fall asleep.  I would keep the same awake times until there is a clear indication that your lo doesn't want to nap at that time.   In our case if dd plays/babbles for 30+ min, I would increase her time the next day.   If the awake time is short, then she will either fight me or take a 30-45 min nap.  Then I'm praying that she will take a pm nap.  HTH :roll:

Offline Keren

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 09:45:56 am »
CW

I agree with Mimi on the awake times. I found that Josh would sleep a short nap if I put him down too early for the morning nap and he would fight me so hard for the afternoon nap if I put him down early for that one. I don't think Josh has ever just played in his cot for 30mins then fallen asleep. That must be nice.

Michelle

Oh oh. Josh has fought me for the past two days for that last nap that I have gone for a drive. He just wouldn't go to sleep in the cot at all. Do you think I should just jump to 11:30am or extend his awake time by 15mins every few days? I am thinking extending his awake time incrementally and still go for a drive at the same time in the afternoon until he doesn't go to sleep at all in the car.

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 03:53:45 am »
Keren

I would go w/ your second option - it sounds like the best way to make sure he isn't overtired and also give him the opportunity to sleep in the pm if he wants it.  If nothing else, the time in car is rest time.  Good Luck!  Keep me posted.

I am back in the uncertainty boat w/ you all....today Megan napped for 1.15mins and that was it.  We will see what tomorrow brings, i think the long 1 nap (4hrs i might add...  8)  8) ) the past 4 days we just because she is cutting her top 2 teeth.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2005, 00:36:00 am »
Hi there,

Can I join your group??  :)

I think Brendan is getting ready to drop his morning nap. It's getting gradually later and he's just not looking tired when it's time for his morning nap.. and the afternoon nap is getting shorter.

He just turned 11 months.

So here's his "current" day:

7:00 Up, breakfast
10:00 Nap (takes a long time to settle)
11:00 Up
11:30 Lunch
2:00-2:30 Nap
3:30--4:00 Up Snack
5:30 Dinner
7:00 Bed

Ugh.. I'm not sure when to start weaning the morning nap, or if I should wait some more... Oh cr@p.. this means he's growing up :(
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2005, 01:36:04 am »
Oh course you can join our club Jane!  I would wait some more.  You could increase his A times to 3.5 and still have bed at 7.00ish.

My turn to ask the same question.  Our lovely week of 1-4hr nap is over - damn, it was soooo nice. 

Here is what she has done the past 2 days w/ the one nap...1.15hr min, same as her former am nap when she was on 2 naps.

2.30 lunch 2 (she has been really, really hungry)
5.00 refuse catnap
7.30-8.00 bed
10.30am nap 1 - 11.30 wake

12.00 lunch
3.00 snack followed by nap 2 (or even 3.30pm) 1hr wake
7.30 bed

Whatcha all think??  I just don't think 1.15hr is enough, certainly not for me!! :wink:

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2005, 01:58:34 am »
Hmm.. what about letting her wake up naturally, and then having her nap after lunch?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004