Author Topic: Progressively longer awake time for nearly 11 mo old  (Read 7718 times)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Progressively longer awake time for nearly 11 mo old
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005, 02:08:40 am »
Funny you say that - as we did and got:

8am she woke naturally
12.00-1.30 nap 1 (1.15min w/ 15min leaving her to see if she would go back down)
4.30-5.00 catnap
7.00pm bed.

and tomorrow we get to through nursery back in the mix!  great more variables.  I think i will pick her up at 12.00 (vs 1.00) so she can try for a good nap at home.

Jane, what did you decide?

Ladies, how are you doing?

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2005, 07:36:19 am »
Hi All,
We are doing really well  :lol:  watch me jinx it now. Anyway Leah has decided that sitting down during the day is not an option any more and is continously walking round by the furniture and the bed, result one tired little girl  :lol:  prob wont last long though. Still keeping the morning nap to a strict 40 mins which usually gives me 2 hours in the afternoon though occasionally it's just over 1.
Was reading in the living room last night and had no tv on just her monitor and I have to say she was very restless, moving all the time with little groans every now and then which is not like her. Is this due to her moving so much during the day? Just curious.
Fiona

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2005, 15:08:41 pm »
Is it ok to join in this post as we are going through the same thing. It's got to a point where I'm feeling quite inadequate. DS is 11 months and up untila month ag you could set his naps by clockwork. I've tried everything to keep both naps, waking him up earlier from am nap, different PD times for PM nap but fighting him for the PM nap seems such a waste of time.
His schedule now is
6.45 awake
10.00 nap 1.25 hrs
awake for at least 4.5 hrs
4.00 catnap 30 mins
7.45 asleep
If we are in the car or pushchair he tends to get a catnap in PM but in his cot he plays throughout. He doesn't give me sleepy signs in PM and doesn't cry or fuss. Is he ready for 1 nap? I just don't see how we can extend AM awake time! He slept this moening from 10.00 - 11.15 and it's now 4.15 and he's giggling away in his cot. Do i put him to bed earlier this evening? Help

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2005, 20:32:37 pm »
This is becoming a trend!

So, back to my adorable DS, now 11 months old! 

Some interesting new patterns are developing....he seems to really LOVE the 5am wake/babble/moan/coo sessions!  After about 45-60 minutes of this, he falls back asleep til 7ish.  Yesterday and today, we had to wake him at 7am.  Nap #1 would be at 10:15am or so....I put him down after a story and a snuggle, then he was back to the babble/moan/coo program for about 45 minutes!  He finally fell asleep at about 11am, til about 12:10.  He woke up cranky too.

How many of your nap #2 are catnaps?  Is that a good idea?  B/c I think he will still settle for an afternoon nap...

I'm also wondering if each day, I should start stretching him more and more to get to an 11:30am or 12noon nap start time.  Has anyone gone to one nap all at once??

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2005, 23:37:36 pm »
Hi Ladies

Fiona - glad you are back on track

Liliben and CW - sounds like you in the transition to 1 nap. 

Liliben I just don't see how we can extend AM awake time! He slept this moening from 10.00 - 11.15 and it's now 4.15 and he's giggling away in his cot. Do I put him to bed earlier this evening? Help.  Try giving him a snack at or close to the time you would normally put down for nap 1...that helped us when extending.  If he is tired this evening, then by all means put him down early.

CW - How many of your nap #2 are catnaps? Is that a good idea? B/c I think he will still settle for an afternoon nap...   Our nap #2s are catnaps and dd is waking herself.  Due to the late hour of the day, it is all there is really time for anyway.

I'm also wondering if each day, I should start stretching him more and more to get to an 11:30am or 12noon nap start time. Has anyone gone to one nap all at once??.  We did not go all at once.  We stretched am A times to get to our current 4-4.5 - which by the way is what you will need for one nap to work w/o a catnap in the pm.

We almost had a great day...nursery went fine, put her down when we got home and dd was sleeping for 1.45... when someone came to the door and the DOGS barked which woke her up.  I tried to get her back down w.o success and she was sooo cranky.  Which tells me she would have slept longer.  I could have killed the person at the door!

Once I got my panties out of a knot, I can say it was a step in the right direction!

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2005, 23:48:06 pm »
After I wrote about how DS would settle for an afternoon nap (even a catnap), ha!  He proved me wrong.  Fussed, whined and talked for the better part of 45 minutes until I think he tumbled in his crib and konked his head!  So, he's been up since 12noon...it's now 4:45.  I am giving him a quick dinner...a walk around the block, then shoot for bottle/bedtime at 6:oo-6:15pm. 

I'm not ready for one nap yet!!

What's the best way to go about it?  Is there a step by step process that works best?

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 00:03:34 am »
I am not the expert on this as we are in the middle of it.

You said he normally goes down at 10am, try to gradually push it 15-30 min every couple days and aim for a schedule like:

6.45 awake
9.30-10.00am snack
12.00-12.30 lunch - nap 2.00hrs + (hopefully)

upon waking snack
6.30-7.00 asleep

Things i have learned that may help:
-offer lunch or snack when you would normally put them down for nap 1
-being out and about helps distract them
-keep offering that catnap until they refuse (even if it's late in the day eg: 4.30-5.00ish - if it doesn't interfer w/ bed time). 
-if they don't sleep long enough or take the cat nap, a long walk is at least restful
-give them time to re-settle themselves if they wake at the 45, 60, or 90min mark.

I wasn't ready either, but if she will sleep at least for a good 2-2.5hrs - i think i may actually like it!

PS: Tracy mentions it in the new book on pg 284, but she doesn't mention a cat nap, which i think is a must during the transition.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 00:08:48 am »
Just wanted to say that we are still right there with you.  She did have two good naps today because we wore her out this weekend being out of town and had later bedtimes Sat. and Sun.   But she usually will still take a good am nap but a short or no afternoon nap.  Over the weekend she was up from 12:00 until bedtimes. I did try to put her down for her afternoon naps but she was not going to sleep.  I think it did not help that she was in a strange place either.   She did get tired around suppertime but we were so busy that she did have some distractions.  This phase really sucks!  It was so nice today when she did take 2 naps.  I am not ready for one nap either.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 09:18:31 am »
I agree that this phase really sucks. I just feel as if I'm undoing all my good work so far. DS was awake yesterday after a 10-11.15 nap until 6pm. I offered catnap at 3.15 even though there were no sleepy signs but he just played in a dark nursery until 4.30. How long should I do PD if he doesn't seem to want to nap? I then had to go to work (a twice a week thing!) and DH gave him his dinner. He was yawning during dinner so he put him to bed at 6pm. (Last feed is usually at 7pm and asleep at 7.45pm). DS was up this morning after his usual 10.5 hours at 4.30am!!! Wide awake and played for 45 mins but then DH brought him into our bed. TO DS this means the beginning of the day so wanted to bf. It just seems to be getting worse!

Is it okay to offer catnap in stroller? It seems to me as if I'm undoing all my good aork of getting him to fall asleep by himself but as you say I'm sure it's more restful than walking around the cot and being PD for over an hour to no avail!

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 13:32:38 pm »
Another question re snacks before nap. We've been trying for about 4 days to get rid of mid-morning bf and change to snacks instead because of DS change in schedule. O don't want him fo fall asleep nursing. But any suggestions as what to offer and where do I give it? In highchair or during storytime in his room?

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2005, 22:00:10 pm »
I think one of the most frustrating things about this stage is the lack of clear sleepy cues!  I can't read this kid at all anymore.  Last night, I really wanted to put him down early, at 6pm or so (he had been up since 12noon and only had one 1 hr nap!).  But my dh didn't think it made sense.  He doesn't agree with the early bedtime thinking.  So we met in the middle and put him to bed at about 6:30-6:45ish.  DH thinks that DS will stay wake 11 hrs later, so if you put him to bed at 6pm, he will be up at 5am.  Well, he woke this morning at 7am, so there goes that theory.

Personally, I love the early bedtimes.  How early is too early?

I am at work today, thank goodness, so I don't have to witness the nap mess today. 

Along with all of this, my DS just seems more 'sensitive' and more prone to tears.  This is new territory for us because he's textbook and really only cried for a reason.  Now, he just caves if I say no, or take something away.  Is this the 11-month stage or something?

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2005, 22:40:33 pm »
I can so relate to you on that one.  Lindsey hardly ever gives me sleepy cues until I take her upstairs to do her windown but she still will not go to sleep like this afternoon. :roll: I ended up just going to get her and we went to a baby consignment store where she played for a while and then I rode around in the car on the way home til she finally fell asleep and took about a 25 min catnap.  I agree aboutthe crying at the drop of a hat too.  It may have something to do with them not napping well maybe.  Oh well, as everyone here says, this too shall pass but it does suck while it is going on.   :D
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2005, 00:14:48 am »
Hi CW and Lynne -
CW to answer some of your questions:
I agree that this phase really sucks. I just feel as if I'm undoing all my good work so far.   I know this phase is really weird, I am questioning myself every hour!  1 nap or 2, 1 nap or 2.

How long should I do PD if he doesn't seem to want to nap?  I have a hard time w/ this one…if they are happy in the crib or just moaning them give them 45-60min.  I haven’t done pd in so long that I am not sure I know how w/ a toddler…Jane help – can you shed some light on this question.

Is it okay to offer catnap in stroller?   During this transitional phase, I would say yes. 

Another question re snacks before nap. We've been trying for about 4 days to get rid of mid-morning bf and change to snacks instead because of DS change in schedule. O don't want him fo fall asleep nursing. But any suggestions as what to offer and where do I give it? In highchair or during storytime in his room?   I don’t think it matters where – try both and see which works best for you.  As for what – do you do finger foods yet?  Our snacks are usually either a fruit or grain product as they need these most.  So our favs are: O’s, rice cake, banana, pear, etc.

How early is too early?   – 30min to 1hr earlier then normal I think is okay.

I am at work today, thank goodness, so I don't have to witness the nap mess today.   Lucky you :!:

Is this the 11-month stage or something?  Yes, it is…it is called toddler manipulation, okay some it is due their sleep cycles being all messed up.

Hang in there!

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2005, 03:50:11 am »
Thought i would post these tips from some reading i was doing on the subject:

9-12 mos – am nap 3hrs from wake up if sleeping 11-12hr uninterrupted at night.
    Am nap s/b 1.5hr for 9mos and 1hr for 12mos
    If he takes a longer nap and then has trouble sleeping in for pm nap knock off 15 – 30 mins from am nap.
    Pm nap is more important and should be longer then am since this is the one they will keep.
    Pm nap starts around 3hrs after am ends and should be 1.5hrs
    1 nap comes around 15-18 mos – don’t attempt too early and don’t let them sleep too long in the am
    if taking 1 nap start about 12.30-1.30 (w/ a 7am wake up).
    Typical 2-2.5 hrs
    All undergo one nap is too little and 2 naps too many phase – expect it too take 2-3 wks
    Watch the am nap for clues she is ready…may take her longer to fall asleep or wake up early from am nap.  May also sleep sleep so long in am that won’t sleep in pm. 
    When ready push am nap to 11am for 2-3 days, then 11.30, then noon and so on.  Goal is 12.30-1.00[/list:u]

Hope you can make sence out of my short notes.

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2005, 06:43:09 am »
CW I hear you on the no more sleepy cues. Leah used to put her hand up to her mouth and nose when she was sleepy, no more  :oops:  though in the last 2 days when we have been reading our story book before bed she took it, closed it and put it under the cushion which for me meant hey I am ready for bed  :wink:  And yes we have the "toddler manipulation" going on here too, just came out of nowhere really, and we get big fat tears  :oops:
Megs Mom thanks for the info you got from your research it's really  helpful. I think that's the way we will go. Leah has her nap at 1.35 and sleeps for 2 hours-usually and does 40 mins in the morning, she wakes up from both naps naturally, well usually. She is getting tired quicker in the evening now though I have to say but dh doesn't believe in the overtierd thing plus if we put her down any later than 7.30 he doesn't get to see her. I understand his feelings so we will see how things go but if she needs bed earlier she will have to get it  :wink: