Author Topic: How Much Formula With Solids  (Read 1467 times)

Offline jennbull

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How Much Formula With Solids
« on: September 14, 2005, 22:34:25 pm »
I recently stopped bf due to my pregnancy and I am not sure how much formula my boy should be drinking.  He eats solids 3x a day so with that how much formula does he need?  He weighs like 23 pounds so if you multiply that by 2oz per pound that is like 40+ ounces.  He is no were near that much.  He drinks like only 25 ounces a day.  Only 5 ounces each feed.  Is this enough???  He is 7 months and a big boy.  If not, how do I get him to drink more????

:lol: Thanks

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 00:00:24 am »
Hello!
If he is happy/content after the feeding, is going  4 hours (or close to it) in between feedings, gaining weight and not having night wakings due to hunger - that amount is perfectly fine  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline jennbull

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 00:58:55 am »
Well, he is happy and going almost 4 hours every time, but he does wake up between 2-5 am for a bottle.  It is a different time every night so I am assuming it is hunger and not habit.  I really want to break the night time feed but I don't know how to increase his daily intake.  Any suggestions???  He goes to bed at 7:30 so should he be old enough to go without a night feed???

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Showing Appreciation 81
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:11:53 am »
In my experience with DS when I switched from breast to bottle (not as a moderater) Ds was a small eater for the longest time, and still wanted an early am bottle too.  What I did was try to get him to drink more formula at each feeding, then I would give him his cereal an hour or so before bed, then his bottle at bedtime and one night decided to wait until 7am to feed him again. 

It was rocky the 1st couple of nights, but after a couple of days, he switched and ate more during the day.  Now he REFUSES anything in a bottle at night (if I think he needs water etc) and has breakfast about 1/2 hour after waking.

HTH
and good luck
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:01:57 am »
HI again,
Do you feed cereal?  If so, do you use formula or water?  If you use water, you could try using formula which would increase the intake.  Does he finish each bottle?  Does he finish all of his solids?  If he is, you could increase the amount of each one, assuming that he would then take more.  Let us know how it goes  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:37:48 am »
Hi!  When my DS was 6 mos and on 3 meals a day of solids, he was only drinking about 20 oz a day or formula.  His pediatrician told us to aim for 24 ounces as the magic number.  So at 25 ounces, and as long as he is happy and gaining weight, that amount should be fine.   :)
Sheila
ng