Author Topic: Should I continue?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline james030405

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Should I continue?
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:10:21 am »
I have a 5mth old and have been trying rice ceral with pear since Sunday (he was showing all the signs and can sit almost independantly).  I am not sure if I should try in another weeks time or just continue.  He is not opening his mouth for it, but he is also not spitting it out.  Is this a sign that he is not ready yet, or is it just a developmental thing?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Should I maybe try a vegetable like pumpkin or sweet potato that is not as sweet as pear?

james is on a 4hour EASY routine and I have been trying solids about an hour after he finishes his bottle. 

Thanks for your help

Lisa - mum to James
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 01:59:25 am »
I am by no means an expert, but I started my ds on rice cereal just after he was 5 months old.  It look the better part of 3+ weeks before he 'got it', and started opening his mouth.  I was so excited at that point!  Before then, I would do all sorts of stupid mommy tricks to get him to open his mouth to get that rice in there!   :roll:  :lol:

I would stick with it for a while.  If he was showing the readiness signs for the solids, I think sometimes it just takes them awhile to understand it.

HTH!

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Should I continue?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 02:41:03 am »
It took my DS about a month of practice before he "got" the eating solids thing, and figured out how to open his mouth and swallow.  Every few days, I would try again.  I also found that as a first food, veggies with a mellow flavor, like squash or sweet potato, were good to start with...
Sheila
ng

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Should I continue?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:46:08 am »
Thanks for the replies.  james is sick this week with a cold so I might just give it a few days and try again. He has also just got over a bout of tonsillitis and was taking antiobiotics. 

I will try veges next week.
Thanks for the advice.

Lisa - mum to James
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]