Author Topic: No weight gain this week?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline snowangel

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 15, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
Hi!

I just got back from my 14 week old lo weekly weigh-in and he hasn't put on any weight this week.  He's 11lb 2oz - which is on the wee side cos he was a bit early and me and my DH aren't huge people. But the last two weeks he put on 7oz each, and has always put good weight on before that - despite being a bit of an erratic feeder (BFing for 5-10min, bobbing on and off, sometimes just not seeming that hungry). The clinic didn't seem to think it was a problem but I guess I'll see what happens next week. Just looking for reassurance that this happens to ease my panicky brain - or ways to increase DH's apetite!!!

Thanks.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
No weight gain this week?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 12:17:15 pm »
If I recall correctly, we had a bit of a weight-gain dip around 3 or 4 months (just in between growth spurts). As long as he's not losing, don't worry too much.  The problem with weekly weigh-ins is that they can easily stress you out!  :D You'll probably see that next week or the week after, he'll start shooting up again.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 23:19:43 pm »
That's when they slow down, around 3-4 months. I think the norm for breastfed babies is to gain an ounce per day till 2 months and then 0.5 oz per day for the next 4 months. Relax  :) .

Offline Fletch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 06:07:50 am »
Hi

My 6wk old actually lost 100gms (not sure of conversion onto oz) this week. That had me soooo worried that my milk supply diminished even more. I have put him on formula and the breast and im expressing after all of his feeds (to top him up if he needs it). So my milk is slowly coming back. Maybe you could express and bottle feed it to him? At least he's getting a bit more.
My baby boy has since gained that 100gms back in the last 3 days, so im hoping it will continue and more!

Good Luck, i hope your bub puts on weight this wk.
Love Fletch

DS Zane 30.7.05

annamum

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 06:14:47 am »
Hi Fletch,

Just a word of caution, if you start adding formula, you are telling your body to produce less milk instead of opposite. The best way to increase supply at such an early age is to nurse as often as your baby asks for it, supplementing with formula may cause more problems. This would be only recommended if you wouldn't be able to produce any milk at all but this is rare. At 6 weeks many babies go through a growth spurt and they need to nurse more often to increase supply. If you give some formula at this time, your breast will not be stimulated enough and in the end you will have less milk.

Offline Fletch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 06:29:13 am »
Hi Monika, i am putting him to the breast everytime, just topping him up with formula and what ever i can express. So i am trying to stimulate more milk, i musnt of made that clear in my post :? The formula is only temp too. Coz he's poo really stinks!!! :shock:
Love Fletch

DS Zane 30.7.05

annamum

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 06:39:09 am »
Thanks for letting me know, didn't want to make it sound harsh  :) . Good luck to you!