Author Topic: Prem doesnt like the dark?Extended nap by turning light on!  (Read 1160 times)

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Prem doesnt like the dark?Extended nap by turning light on!
« on: September 15, 2005, 14:27:39 pm »
Ok so for the first 6 weeks of my 5 1/2 month DS life he was in special care with bright lights and lots of noise when we brought him home he slept anywhere and everywhere 99% of the time - id put him in his moses basket in the living room or wherever i was and hed sleep in that most of the day until he was about two months old (he was two months prem) at which point we introduced the black out!  Ok im waffling the thing is ive been trying to extend my LO naps for ages, half an hour ago he just woke up after 30mins, i normally turn the lights on, potter about the room for a bit then get him up - this time i turned the lights on and left the room - i went back 10mins later and he was asleep  :shock:  so i turned the lights off and left - he woke 2mins later so i turned them back on and left and hes now been asleep half an hour - so even tho this isnt the best way im sure - ive managed to extend his nap by 30mins simply by having some light in the room!!  Im gonna try this for his next one and see what happens - would this fall into accidental parenting tho?  Do you think this has anything to do with him being in speical care?  Surely he doesnt remember that?  Thinking about it he does get edgy in the dark during wind down - could be coz hes tierd tho...
Hana.xx

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 00:00:45 am »
Many premies experience this, they become used to the bright lights that being in the dark is actually upsetting to them.  I remember an episode from Tracy's show in which this happened. What the family did was install a dimmer switch, and gradually darkened the room each day.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 11:39:10 am »
hmmmmm just done this again for todays lunchtime nap and have managed to extend it again by 30mins so far - hes still sleeping  :shock:
Hana.xx

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 20:13:52 pm »
This is so wierd but working - ive managed to extend his morning nap to 1h and his lunchtime nap to 2.5hrs just by turning the light on when he wakes at 45min  :shock:
Im hoping now his body will get used to the long naps and i wont need the light.  His afternoon catnap has gone out the window tho - he refuses to take one even tho i can tell hes tierd - still making progress so v happy yaaaaaaaay  :D
Hana.xx