Author Topic: 3-4 nightwakings for a 5mo. advice?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
3-4 nightwakings for a 5mo. advice?
« on: September 15, 2005, 21:01:54 pm »
hi everyone, need some advice!

my 5mo used to sleep from 8-7 with one nightfeed and no dreamfeed. after i switched to a 4hr easy, however, i think my milk supply got lower and he started waking. THEN he started rolling and that's when the dirty diaper hit the fan. he woke hourly. because of that i wasn't sure which waking was out of hunger, so i fed him at different times.

now he wakes 3-4 times a night: 11, 1 or 2, 4am. sometimes 5am after that. he flips over and wakes himself up. some of those wakings i flip him back and he falls right to sleep again. sometimes it takes more.

my questions:
1. i've been doing wake to sleep with the 11pm one and it usually works. should i do wake to sleep for all the wakings??
2. i don't have the energy to do pu/pd. i've been using the pacifier to send him back to sleep. is it ok to do this ? if not what are my other options?

thanks!
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 23:02:50 pm »
It is develpomental & it will pass, once he gets used to rolling but the key is to be consistent.

It is best to only feed at one time, otherwise you confuse him & his digestion.

If the wake to sleep works use that, but only if the wake time is consistently the same each night.

If the Paci works, then it is ok to use that, but be careful that you don't end up with it being a prop. My ds#2 is about the same age & I am realising as he gets more alert & active, I am using the paci when I am "too busy/tired" to do other things & it is getting used more & more... so I'm now cutting back to just absolute emergencies. This is the age when they become very attached to paci's so be cautious as to how you use it & try to use it less in the day if you can.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 00:04:50 am »
thanks kate,

i love both your ds's names!

i just hope i haven't become a prop, b/c during the day micah can roll both ways (well it still takes effort) but at night he cries immediately when he rolls onto his back. maybe he's just too tired and out of sorts to do it at night. but i just hope he isn't used to me "saving" him every time.

thanks for the tip a/b the paci. didn't know this is the time they get attached!

ok need to get rest so that i can endure the night  :D
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05