Author Topic: Dream feed  (Read 1470 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dream feed
« on: September 15, 2005, 20:09:47 pm »
I am confused as to the next step in eliminating the dreamfeed.

My son is 8 months old and I have moved the dream feed up from 10:45pm to 8:15 pm by 15 minute intervals every 3-4 days. Here is my problem. The fourth feed of the day is usually around 6:30. Then he goes to bed around 7:00-7:30. So I wake him shortly after for the 5th feed (the dream feed). How do I keep moving it up to 8:00 and 7:30 etc? Wont I be waking him shortly after I put him to bed? And also, when I get to 7:30 isnt that getting pretty close to when I give him the 4th feed?

As it is now, he spends the same amount of time drinking during dream feed as his regular feeds so I know that he still is taking in the milk.

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
Dream feed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 00:23:53 am »
Hi there - can you post your EASY schedule for the day/night with naps and feeds?

I think an answer would be to try and squeeze what he has in the dreamfeed into his daytime feeds, so that you can completely eliminate the DF safe in the knowledge that he has a full belly.

When I was try to increase Mads intake of milk, I used to sneak it into everything! Her mashed potato for dinner, in fact anything she had to eat! I used to make puddings with her milk in it and offer her extra yogurts and cheese to tank her up!

Dee
x

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dream feed
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 01:28:21 am »
Thank you for responding!  I was beginning to think no one could help me!  Here is an average day.

Eat Breastfeed ( 6:00)
Eat Breakfast (7:00)
Eat Breast (10:00
Eat Lunch (12:00)
Eat Breast 2:00
Eat Supper (5:00)
Eat Breast 6:00
Bed 7:00
DR (8:15)

Sleeps till 6:00 on most days.

I would appreciate any advice you can give!

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dream feed
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:30:02 am »
Oh I forgot naps - Two naps a day usually though this week has been difficult. Anyways he usually take one at 9-10 and an afternoon one from 1-2 sometimes 2:30 and sometimes till 3.

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dream feed
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 17:07:56 pm »
The DF should be elliminated by reducing the intake from the DF a little at a time and, like the other poster said, increase the daytime feedings by the same amount.  So take 1/2 an ounce (or more) out of the DF only after adding that 1/2 an ounce to the daytime feeds.  Do this for three days then reduce it a bit more for three more days, etc, until it's gone altogether.  He will continue to get the same amount of calories, but during the day rather than at night.

You will probably find that he still wakes during the DF hour, even after you have weaned him completely, that is when you will need to soothe him with other methods until he doesn't wake at all anymore.  We are in the process of doing this with the middle of the night feeding for our 16 week old.  He doesn't take anything anymore, but he still wakes and needs comforting out of habit.  It's only been three days, so we haven't quite cracked it yet, but I look forward to the day he sleeps through!!
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dream feed
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 19:25:21 pm »
So to clarify,

When I feed him his dream feed he eats for 8 min.  Am I to stop him after 5 min and put him down and do this for 3 days?  You see its hard to measure ounces when you do the breast.  So would doing this be the same?
During the day I try to get him to stay on the breast as long as possible but its usually about 8 minutes.