Author Topic: Accidental Parent Needs Sleep Advise  (Read 1274 times)

Offline magdalena x 2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 15, 2005, 22:50:15 pm »
Hello,

My daughter, Lena, turns four months old next week.  I've read Tracy's first book & the sleep interview, and I still have some unanswered questions/issues.  Here's the situation:

1)  Lena seems to be rather alert.  She only gets 10.5 - 12 hours of sleep in a 24 hr period... and 9 of those are during the night.  This makes trying to work from home very difficult at times. 

2)  She seems to have trouble winding down and staying asleep for naps.  I've tried having her sit quietly for 5 minutes before sleep time (after some nice, calm activity); she only gets more cranky sitting still.

3)  PROPS out the whazoo!  We've been walking her to sleep in our arms; I also take her on at least one walk a day in which she usually falls esleep.  We often resort to "vaccuuming" her to sleep b/c it's the only white noise that's loud enough to slow down her mind.  She's no longer swaddled (b/c she'd spend more time trying to pry loose of it than sleeping); and although she hasn't quite found her thumb, she's beginning to reject the pacifer more and more (at least that's a good thing!). 

So, what bad habit should I knock out first?  If she's a spirited four month old, should I pick her up and get her completely calm before putting her back down, OR should I continually p/u & p/d until she gets it?  She seems to wake up out of her "7 mile stare" the moment you attempt to put her down. I also think she's eating too often. I'll usually nurse her after a nap - regardless if it's "time" to eat or not, but it seems like the only thing that stops her from crying.

Our daily schedule goes something like this:

6-7:30 - wake & nurse
8-9:30 - walk (sleeps about 45 minutes of it)
activity w/ eating every 2-2.5 hours
sleep for .5 - 1 hour some time in the morning
activity w/ eating every 2-2.5 hours and
sleep for .5 - 1 hour some time in the afternoon
last nurse around 7:30; sleep around 8:30
wakes around 4a; eats and goes back to bed (about .5 hours afterward) until she wakes up

We're VERY thankful that she sleeps well at night  :D  It's mainly a concern about her lack of sleep during the day.

My sincere apolgies for the long message, but I wanted to get it all out there.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Accidental Parent Needs Sleep Advise
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 00:10:57 am »
Do you have Tracy's last book? It's loaded with excellent information, and I'm so glad I had it for my second child. Very helpful.

I would start with her routine.  Make life as simple as possible for the next 2 weeks, to focus on setting routines and teaching sleep. 

In Tracy's new book, she talks about a wind down routine before nap. I would look into starting that. It sends a signal to her body that it's time to fall asleep.

Also, be consistent as possible with teaching sleep. It does take time, especially since this will be new to her.  Be patient, it will come!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 00:26:07 am »
Hi there,
When you're ready to tackle short naps pm me or send me an email.  I've got a spirited one myself and we've been working on her naps a long time.  I can share with you what worked with my dd and what didn't. 

Good luck!
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 01:04:16 am »
Hi Ladies,

This is my good friend posting here, so thank you for helping her as much as possible!  :wink:  Lena is a beautiful, sweet little baby who is generally happy but hates to sleep.  :?

I think I know where you can get that 'latest book' copy if you'd like to borrow it...

Heya Matthew'smommy, do you suggest she start sleep training for every nap, or get into it gradually?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies