Author Topic: is he getting enough to eat?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Adamsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
is he getting enough to eat?
« on: September 16, 2005, 01:41:44 am »
I'm concerned after really looking at my son's EASY schedule that I'm feeing him enough for his age.  He spits up a lot after feedings sometimes even 1-2 hrs later so I try to not feed him too much but enough.  Please tell me if this is about right.  Oh, he pees all the time but only poops every other day and when he does HOLY COW.  Is this normal?  My husband feeds him 3 5oz bottles of ebm and I bf him twice which I believe he also gets at least 5 oz so that would only be 25 oz a day.  I feel like this is not enough but he seems content after feedings and dosen't really fuss too much until he's swaddled for nap or bedtime.  I'm also concerned that if I feed him too much he'll just spit it all up!  I keep him upright and all that jazz.

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 03:08:40 am »
I would think that if he is gaining weight consistently he should be getting enough to eat.  Now that he is older it is normal for them to not poop as often.  Is he gaining well?
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

annamum

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 06:24:26 am »
This is from Kellymom.com:

"The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day)."

So I would say your little one is getting enough. Is he gaining weight? Pooping every other day is also normal. Is it what I call "explosive" poop  :lol: ?

Am not knowledgable on reflux, have you checked out that as a possibility if he spits a lot? You can look for some clues on this subject on our reflux board.

BTW, I used to live in Plano, Tx  :) .

Offline Adamsmum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 11:56:05 am »
Thank you for putting that blurb on how many ounces, that eases my mind a bit.  He does look a lot bigger to me so I'm sure he's gaining but I haven't had him weighed since his 2 month appt.  He goes for his 4 month on Oct. 10 but we may do the whole weigh us on the scale and then with him thing.  I'll let you know how much he weighs. 

He dosen't have so much of an explosive poop anymore it's just a lot when he does.  He was quite fussy last night so I thought maybe he was having a hard time going.  I ended up giving him gas drops and bycycling his legs but no poop yet.  :)

Yes, I do need to check out he reflux board because he has some of those symptoms.  I've asked my ped. and she said that unless his symptoms were really bad she didn't want to put him on medication.  Well, he spits up after every feeding and sounds like he is swallowing things that come up at times.  He isn't toooooo fussy to get down to sleep but wakes up often so I wonder if it could be reflux.  What do you think?

Offline CarolinaGirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 13:56:03 pm »
My son has been EBF and poops once a week!!!  It is soft and a lot - that is normal for EBF babies - they use every ounce they are taking in and there is little waste to poop out!!  As long as it isn't hard, my doc said it is fine.

If he is wetting diapers often and not fussing, he is probably getting plenty. My son went through a phase around 3-4 months where he would gulp and gulp and act like something was coming up. He still does sometimes. He usually has a burp left in him or I just sit him up for a while after he nurses and it goes away.

Hope this helps.
Heather
Mommy to Logan (10 years) and Luke (5 months)