Author Topic: egg allergy  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Williamsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
egg allergy
« on: September 16, 2005, 02:38:05 am »
Are there any synonyms for eggs that I should watch out for in ingredient lists like there are for milk?  Thanks.

Sarah

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
egg allergy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:51:27 am »
this is our "list" from the food allergy network.....

avoid foods with any of these ingredients:
albumin
egg
egg substitures
eggnog
globulin
livetin
mayo
meringue
ovalbumin
ovomucin
ovomucoid
ovovitellin
Simplesse
*shiny glaze or yellow baked goods indicate prescence of eggs*

for an egg substitute....
1 tsp baking powder, 1tbsp liquid(i used water), 1 tbsp vinegar

i actually found egg not to be too hard to avoid....Ener G has egg replacer (powder product) but i did not like the results....tried it many times!  but they also have other egg free products ......and health food stores usually have completely vegan stuff.
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline Williamsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
egg allergy
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 15:58:46 pm »
Thanks so much for the info!

Sarah

Offline kc

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kingdomofthegiants.com
egg allergy
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 09:56:20 am »
My daughter is allergic to eggs & milk protien & I have heard that there is an egg ingredient included in the MMR injection. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am currently trying to contact her GP & the doctor who is dealing with her at the hospital but I have not had any luck yet & can't get any answers.

I'm panicking about this because i have just received notification that she is due to get it this Friday (23rd)  :?

Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
egg allergy
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 20:38:37 pm »
Hi kc

Firstly stop panicking straight away. You do not have to have the injection on the appointment day and if you feel you are not yet fully equipped with the full info then just don't go for the appointment (this is what I did until we saw our consultant at the hospital). DO NOT feel pressured into making any decisions you feel uncomfortable with.

It is correct that there is egg used in culturing the MMR however our consultant confirmed that it is very rare for anyone to have a reaction. What he also said however was that as a precautionary measure, if a child did have an egg allergy they would do the inoculation at the hospital rather than the surgery.

If you want to pm me feel free to or if you want any more support just ask.

Sara

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
egg allergy
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 00:28:16 am »
kc, we chose not to do the MMR.....as our dr kept saying they did not use egg anymore but the allergist said do a skin test first, the dr did not want to, etc.  so never had it.  i couldn't get a clear answer!

so do ask your dr and allergist about it.  ask to see the pamphlet!  if egg is listed then decline.  it isn't worth a reaction for that one vaccine!
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline kc

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kingdomofthegiants.com
egg allergy
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 19:00:32 pm »
Quote from: Livvismum
Hi kc

Firstly stop panicking straight away. You do not have to have the injection on the appointment day and if you feel you are not yet fully equipped with the full info then just don't go for the appointment (this is what I did until we saw our consultant at the hospital). DO NOT feel pressured into making any decisions you feel uncomfortable with.

It is correct that there is egg used in culturing the MMR however our consultant confirmed that it is very rare for anyone to have a reaction. What he also said however was that as a precautionary measure, if a child did have an egg allergy they would do the inoculation at the hospital rather than the surgery.

If you want to pm me feel free to or if you want any more support just ask.

Sara

Thank you for the replys, I'm sorry I haven't got back to let you know how we got on but I haven't had access to a computer for a while.

Anyway, I got hold of Sarah's GP & doctor at the hospital.

The hospital said that Sarah should have no problems getting her MMR at the local clinic. But that if her GP had any problems to call them back.

The GP said that he had never given anyone with an egg allergy the MMR at his clinic, he always refers them to Immunology (sp?) at the childrens hospital. Although there is a 99% chance that she will be ok, he said if she did take a reaction they would be able to deal with it but that she would still have to go to the hospital anyway. So he thought it was better to refer her but this could take up to 1 year!  :shock:  The only good thing is that she gets her RAST test repeated in February & should this show that her allergy has left her, he will give her the MMR as soon as I notify him.

I contacted the hospital again to let them know & the secretary of Sarahs doctor was wonderful. She said I should make sure that Sarah is seen by her doctor instead of whoever happens to lift her chart on the day. I should let him know the situation & ask him to issue a letter to me & Sarahs GP letting them know the results as soon as they are known. Then we could sort this out quicker & at least the appointment has already been made with the hospital.

So, I feel much better about the situation, sorry for panicking, my post probably sounded more desperate than I actually was at the time  :?  :)

I want to thank you too for this site, it truly is a great comfort & a wonderful source of information.  Well done  :)

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
egg allergy
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 19:23:26 pm »
Hi KC

that's great news. I'm glad you feel more at ease now. Sometimes we just assume we haven't got any choices where the health service is concerned by the fact of the matter is we do, and there's a charter, blah, blah.

You'll always find great help on this site so I'm glad you feel welcome.

Sara